Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unable to boot Debian (Jessie) system

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Gordon

Unable to boot Debian (Jessie) system

#1 Post by Gordon »

Hello everyone,

I tried to install Debian on my laptop and I failed. I wanted to setup full disk encryption, so I followed this guide: https://xo.tc/setting-up-full-disk-encr ... essie.html

I also wanted to install the Grub bootloader on one of my USB drives. Due to my lack of sleep I decided to skip the Grub install section. Now I'm unable to boot Debian. Is it possible to fix this problem? Or did I just destroy my laptop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,
Gordon

phenest

Re: Unable to boot Debian (Jessie) system

#2 Post by phenest »

Gordon wrote:Is it possible to fix this problem?
Yes, but given your situation, just start again but this time, install GRUB.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

If this is a new laptop, Debian Jessie may also have some issues just working "out of the box", but those can normally be overcome with the use of jessie-backports. If your only net access is wifi, and it's not working, then that can be a simple or very complicated fix, depending on the hardware.
MX Linux packager and developer

Gordon

#4 Post by Gordon »

Sorry for the late reply! I managed to get everything working. Thanks for all the help.