Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]The future of 686 PAE

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
phenest

Re: The future of 686 PAE

#21 Post by phenest »

ticojohn wrote:Any helpful suggestions ?
Please read the previous posts. We've already tried.

After formatting the USB stick, are you copying the ISO to the first partition?

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed that's exactly what you're doing. That is where you're going wrong.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

ticojohn

#22 Post by ticojohn »

phenest wrote:

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed that's exactly what you're doing. That is where you're going wrong.
Yes, only one partition. Guess I better read some more. Don't know exactly what I need to do as far as partitioning.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

phenest

#23 Post by phenest »

Code: Select all

dd bs=4M if=debian-live-8.7.1-amd64-xfce-desktop.iso of=/dev/sdg
Use dd to copy to sdg and not sdg1. You don't need to format the USB drive.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Segfault

#24 Post by Segfault »

Segfault wrote:
ticojohn wrote:CRAP! I am so dumb. Tried to boot the USB on my 64 bit Intel NUC aand it didn't work. Tried in legacy mode. Wasn't even recognized. WTF ? Went back to my desktop and looked at the USB. I had it formatted, for earlier use, as FAT 32. That may a good reason for not working. Will format as ext4 and try again.
You do not need to format the stick, everything on it will be overwritten by ISO image, including the partition table and the filesystem.
ticojohn wrote:
phenest wrote:

Yes, only one partition. Guess I better read some more. Don't know exactly what I need to do as far as partitioning.
I think I'll give up on this one. Asking for help and not reading the advice given ...

ticojohn

#25 Post by ticojohn »

Segfault wrote: I think I'll give up on this one. Asking for help and not reading the advice given ...
Oh, don't give up! LOL! I got it working. "Just Read The Instructions" . Actually, I went to the Debian docs (DOH !) and instead of using dd I did it per the instructions and used cp and then sync. Works GREAT, albeit a bit slow.

So, if I really want to take advantage of what the 64 bit OS can do I suppose I could look for a LGA775 motherboard that supports more than 4 GB of ram. And no more worries about i386 (686 pae) versus amd64.

And thanks for not giving up.
UPDATE:
And by the way, I misread the post where it said to dd to /dev/sdg and not /dev/sdg1 , that is why I appeared to be not following you advice. Mark it up to bad eyes, or just stupidity if you will. Maybe font size. But it was clear in the Debian docs (bigger fonts, lol).

ticojohn

Re: [SOLVED]The future of 686 PAE

#26 Post by ticojohn »

So, I was looking at some other sites and it looks like I could MAYBE upgrade my 686 system to amd64 by doing this:

Code: Select all

apt-get install linux-image-amd64
Will this work and if so what might any repercussions be? I suppose that I would need to install multi-arch for the 32 bit programs I have, such as Skype. Is there anything negative about this approach?

pylkko

#27 Post by pylkko »

Ok, so try to write the iso to the stick like it should be done, that is follow the instructions this time. If it still does not boot, but it does boot on other devices, then there are other things you can try.

ticojohn

#28 Post by ticojohn »

pylkko wrote:Ok, so try to write the iso to the stick like it should be done, that is follow the instructions this time. If it still does not boot, but it does boot on other devices, then there are other things you can try.
Did that and it worked. Thanks.