Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Force OpenGL version

Need help with peripherals or devices?
DebianLinuxero

Force OpenGL version

#1 Post by DebianLinuxero »

Hello.

I've just fresh installed Debian Testing on an Atom N270 with Intel i945 GME graphics chip.

GNOME 3 performs slow so KDE does.

I've read somewhere that the problem is that the Intel driver emulates via software some functionalities to comply OpenGL 2.1 version.
But the hardware only supports truly up to 1.4 ARB.

And those desktop environments make use of those functionalities if notice that there are avaliable.

So, what I wish to know is how may I force OpenGL to 1.4 prior to lauch X and where I should set it the more elegantly :wink:

PS : I have another laptop, with Intel Centriino M 1.6GHz with an Intel i915 GM chip.
=614&cmp[]=1158]Both processors are low performant, but the interesting thing here is that the graphic chip is inferior.
But GNOME 3 performs well.

stevepusser

Re: Force OpenGL version

#2 Post by stevepusser »

The Atom N270's is a pretty slow chip compared to that Centrino, so I think that's at the root of KDE and GNOME 3's slowness. Those are rather heavy desktops.
MX Linux packager and developer

vbrummond

#3 Post by vbrummond »

I concur, the desktops are too heavy. I had an intel t4400 and gnome 3 was miserably slow.
Always on Debian Testing

DebianLinuxero

#4 Post by DebianLinuxero »

Ummh.

This looks interesting : http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... nGL-2-Drop

I wonder if Gnome Shell will work with OpenGL 1.4 only.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

You should also now be able to upgrade the kernel, Intel driver, and Mesa stack from jessie-backports to see if that increases the version of openGL supported. From what I gather, it does: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=1185
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

ok, i'll do a bit of thread hijacking if i may...
wizard10000 wrote:The other reason the i945 is slow is that on netbooks it's underclocked. Design spec is 400MHz but in netbooks the chipset is run at either 133 or 166MHz.
There's a free utility I use called GMABooster to raise my video chipset back to 400MHz and it does make a fair bit of difference.
http://gmabooster.com
The Linux download link is broken but it points to here - http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4830- ... linux.html
thanks for this!
i just tried this on my netbook (acer aspire one ZG5, a.k.a. AOA 150) and it seems to work! the utility does not error out, and simply reading out the new clock gives the expected 166MHz first, and 400MHz after.

my question:
- what are the implications of this? more heat? battery drain? both?
- my intel chip isn't exactly gma 950, it's:

Code: Select all

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
:?: :?: :?:

how can i test the difference?

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

thanks for the additional info!
and, yoo-hoo, another little boost for my netbook. :D they don't make 'em like this anymore!

now back on topic (serious face).