Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Display Issue

Need help with peripherals or devices?
2handband

Display Issue

#1 Post by 2handband »

I just installed Debian stable on a Dell Inspiron 5555 laptop. Wierd display issue... everything looks a little squashed and stretched out. This has not happened on any other distro of Linux I've installed on this machine so can somebody please tell me what is going on? I have two desktops installed (trinity and KDE) and it happens on both. Graphics are ATI Radeon.

stevepusser

Re: Display Issue

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Sounds like some graphic driver problem--you aren't running at your screen's native resolution. Are fonts a bit blurry, too?

You could install inxi and give the results of the

Code: Select all

inxi -F 
so we can get some idea of what's going on concerning hardware and drivers.
MX Linux packager and developer

2handband

#3 Post by 2handband »

Actually I just solved it... seems Debian doesn't install the amd firmware. I notice I'm getting a few odd touchpad behaviors as well, which I'm guessing is also a firmware issue. Is there a quick way to scan this thing for any uninstalled nonfree firmware so I can just get it all loaded up in one shot?

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

If this is a fairly new laptop that is more recent than Jessie's freeze back in 2014, then there is a chance that the touchpad will be better supported by a newer kernel from jessie-backports. Note that you should also update any firmware packages from jessie-backports if you're upgrading the kernel, and that the stock kernel is not replaced by default--you'll still be able to boot to it if necessary.

I'm not aware of any touchpad firmware in the Debian repositories. Usually the problems are cured by a newer kernel, if anything.
MX Linux packager and developer