Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Stretch install couldn't scan other CDs

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
krugman

Debian Stretch install couldn't scan other CDs

#1 Post by krugman »

During install of Debian 9 (Stretch) using the graphical installer, it got to the part where it is updating the package manager and then asked me if I wanted to scan other CDs
I chose yes, but it would not spin-down the installation DVD and would not allow me to eject the installation DVD and so I couldn't scan the other DVDs.

So, I have three DVDs full of Stretch installation, only one of which has actually been used.
Is there some way, now that installation has completed, that I can make it scan the other two DVDs

I am bound to get asked why I am using Stretch, it is because I want Python 3.6 on the Raspberry Pi and one way of doing this is to install Stretch on the Raspberry Pi.
Currently, it seems to only way to build an installation for stretch on the Raspberry pi is by running a bash script on a machine running Stretch.
However, what I have seen of Stretch so far looks pretty good and I would be quite happy to use this as my main OS

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Debian Stretch install couldn't scan other CDs

#2 Post by arochester »

Only the first CD/DVD is bootable. If you have an adequate Internet connection you should not need two or three.

The purpose of two and three is to act as a (fixed) Repository for people who don't have an adequate Internet connection. You should be able to access them if you have e.g. Synaptic, although it may involve some switching disks back and forward.

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

Is there some way, now that installation has completed, that I can make it scan the other two DVDs
Yes, your /etc/apt/sources.list should have options for CD/DVD in them so
after the first one is installed, and if the machine is booting , and working ok,etc.
You should be able to run :

Code: Select all

apt-get update 

( I think maybe they have gone to just 'apt update' now), but any way
assuming there is a CD or DVD in the drive, and your sources.list
has a line or lines pointing toward a CD/Dvd, then it will scan the disk
and the packages that are on the disk should be available and installable.
There is plenty of documentation on this:
How to install packages from a DVD on Debian

https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/

pcalvert

#4 Post by pcalvert »

This is the command you're looking for:

apt-cdrom add
After executing that command as root, you should be prompted to insert the CD or DVD.

For more info:

man apt-cdrom
Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.