Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Asus Thinker Board

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Danielsan

Asus Thinker Board

#1 Post by Danielsan »

Hi Guys,

Asus released its brands new soc board with Debian (ThinkerOS) which is a wonderful news!

I have been looking for a board for making some emulation thing for I while but I resisted because I don't believe the PI3 is good a choice, I have a PI2 but I had some issues with it so I didn't believe those are pretty reliable either...

This new soc by Asus is more powerful than a PI3 and not so much expansive:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Single-board-Co ... KER-BOARD/

Maybe I could consider this board as choice however the OSMC team already said they will not support this board because Asus has implemented AV acceleration in a hacky way.

Anyway due the fact it uses Debian, has GB lan and yet affordable is surely better than the PI's for a small nas, at least on the paper...

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Asus Thinker Board

#2 Post by arochester »

A Debian-based distribution
Not Debian then?
with Debian (ThinkerOS)
TinkerOS?

pylkko

#3 Post by pylkko »

one thing to take into consideration is that many of these knock off boards need special vendor code to work. it has hapened before that some vendors have just stopped supporting the boards, meaning that people who want to use e.g a newer kernel need to compile and patch one themselves. on rpi even if the specs are not as good as here, in some sense the community and support make up for that quite much. obvously it depends much on what use purpose you have. for electroni tinkering with GPIO and such I think the RPI is quite good.

Danielsan

#4 Post by Danielsan »

arochester wrote:
A Debian-based distribution
Not Debian then?
with Debian (ThinkerOS)
TinkerOS?

I guess is a core Debian with a customized kernel image full of bloatware because the GPU, thus still Debian.