Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

wireless not working with Realtek [solved]

Need help with peripherals or devices?
mystified

wireless not working with Realtek [solved]

#1 Post by mystified »

I had everything working fine in debian and then decided to re-partition my hard drive and did a fresh install. I did apt-get install firmware-realtek but debian doesn't see it for some reason..Suggestions?

Thanks
Last edited by mystified on 2017-02-20 09:03, edited 2 times in total.

Segfault

Re: wireless not working with Realtek

#2 Post by Segfault »

Do some troubleshooting? After ten years here this shouldn't be hard.

mystified

#3 Post by mystified »

I've tried googling everything for days. I've tried everything I could read. The problem I have is the firmware is non free.. I want to put it on a usb stick and reinstall and hopefully configure during the fresh install I can't find a way to just download the firmware with out installing.. I have found what looks like it in ./var/lib/dpkg/info but there are several files and I'm not sure which one to use. I think I'll just get them all and hope for the best.

Thanks

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

There is probably no subject with more threads on this site than Realtek wifi problems. When I enter Realtek into the Debian User Forums Search box I found 3323 matches. Surely, one of them has an answer for you.

Before trying any sort of proprietary driver try the one in the Debian kernel. All you need to activate it is the non-free firmware from the non-free repository.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#5 Post by arochester »

did a fresh install.
The problem I have is the firmware is non free.
Do you have a problem with using non-free software?

Can you connect TEMPORARILY by cable?

Otherwise, you just need to update your sources list to include contrib and non-free and then do (as Root)

Code: Select all

apt update

Code: Select all

apt upgrade
Look here for Jessie https://linuxpanda.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... -8-jessie/ or here for Stretch https://linuxpanda.wordpress.com/2016/1 ... n-stretch/

mystified

#6 Post by mystified »

No I don't have a problem with non-free. I already have contrib and non free in my sources.list. I actually started using linux in 2002 but due to an accident I suffered head trauma and lost a lot of my long term memories so it feels like I'm a newbie again. I did a search like you said but from what I read (and I couldn't read them all) they did what I already tried. I did the updates and everything is up to date. Thanks

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

There are ISO images for Debian that include the non-free firmware, so your wifi should work out of the box. Any good search engine will find them for you.
MX Linux packager and developer

mystified

#8 Post by mystified »

Yes, I've looked into that. It may be my only option.

Thanks