Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Replace Gnome with Openbox without destroying wireless

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Hammer91

Replace Gnome with Openbox without destroying wireless

#1 Post by Hammer91 »

I have installed Jessie a number of times and, because I really like the minimalist, customizable aspects of Openbox, I want to exchange Gnome for Openbox.

But I encounter a hangup in that I lose wireless connectivity when I remove Gnome and boot into Openbox.

Is there a cli command that would enable me to transition to Openbox with Slim and keep my wireless connection intact, either with network-manager or another app? Any way to write an exception for Network Manager into the purge command?

Using "sudo apt-get remove --purge --purge gdm3" and then "sudo apt-get autoremove --purge" destroys my wireless connection. No news there.

Any thoughts on how to navigate this process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bulkley

Re: Replace Gnome with Openbox without destroying wireless

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Why do you need an app to connect to Wifi? Are you using a portable? If a desktop a few simple lines in /etc/network/interfaces works better than any of the gui apps. Check here for some choices.
I have installed Jessie a number of times . . .
Unlike Windows, it is relatively easy to reconfigure Linux without doing re-installs. With your Jessie install Openbox first and set it up the way you like it and trust. When satisfied you can remove such of Gnome as you don't need. Or you can keep both.

Hammer91

Hammer91

#3 Post by Hammer91 »

Do I need an app? Not really.

I am on a laptop.

I guess the appearance of a bell or a whistle (GUI icon of glowing computers or signal bars) gives me comfort. Lol.

I think you are identifying something with which I need to get more comfortable: terminal. #morepowerful

Appreciate the perspective of which files to edit.

Btw, this is a MacBook Pro 9,2 that I am on. I shrank my MacOS partition to next to nothing because I am working at doing something lighter and more liberated than the shiny prisons of Apple's ecosystem.

debmike

Re: Hammer91

#4 Post by debmike »

Hammer91 wrote:Do I need an app? Not really.

I guess the appearance of a bell or a whistle (GUI icon of glowing computers or signal bars) gives me comfort. Lol.
I know what you mean. I use tint2 with my OpenBox. It will give you the wireless notification icon and much more if you want to play with it. It will not mess with your laptop resources either.