Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

repeating keys

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
mystified

repeating keys

#1 Post by mystified »

for some reason I get repeating keys in several distros and even during installation. In debian I just disabled it. I'm having the same problem on two different laptops.. Has anybody ever had this problem?

edbarx

Re: repeating keys

#2 Post by edbarx »

I am afraid the information you provide is too little for anyone wishing to help. Please, provide more information, including the key repetition you are talking about and which keyboard keys produce it. Also give details about what OS you have installed and on what type of hardware it is run.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

mystified

#3 Post by mystified »

It wasn't really a question I was looking for help on. I was just trying to see if anybody had the same problems. but here goes

i have a new laptop that I bought from linuxlaptops because it's supposed to be fully linux compatible It's dell inspiron 15. here are the results from lspci

Code: Select all

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Host Bridge -OPI (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics (rev 09)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB xHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP MEI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev e3)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev e3)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev e3)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev e3)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB EHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI Mode] (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP SMBus Controller (rev 03)
06:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3160 (rev 83)
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 07)
I hadn't really paid attentiion to which keys because it happened all the time. And what happens is that I hit a key once, lightly, and will repeat the letter 3 or 4 times. I have Debian and Kubuntu on this computer.

On my other laptop I can't give much information because it's an older model dell and right now it doesn't have an os installed. I was trying to install arch but the problem was really bad. I hope that's enough info. If nobody can help that's fine although I would really like to fix it.

thanks

edbarx

#4 Post by edbarx »

Did you try to disconnect the laptop's keyboard? Try using an external USB keyboard with the internal keyboard disconnected.

mystified

#5 Post by mystified »

Sorry I didn't even know that could be done. I googled and there's not a lot of info except to say it's very difficult.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

is it repeating keys even when you don't touch it?

can you recognize some pattern?

try an external keyboard anyhow, even if you don't disconnect the internal one.

maybe you can find some pattern or narrow it down. it's called troubleshooting.

horgh

#7 Post by horgh »

It is very odd that you are seeing this on two different laptops!

I've seen similar behaviour once. It was on a USB keyboard attached to a Raspberry Pi. Occasionally I'd hit a key and it would seemingly get stuck (in software) and repeat. I never figured it out or fixed it. My belief was the Pi was underpowered and flaking out due to that.

I don't know what to suggest in your case. I suppose you could try and see if it happens in particular situations. For example, does it happen when you are not running X (just at a console)?

I think the idea to try a USB keyboard is a great one!

edbarx

#8 Post by edbarx »

If the internal keyboard is generating these characters, it would be useless to connect an external one to bypass the problem. I have tried it on a laptop that exhibited the same issue and failed miserably. As I instructed you earlier, disconnect the internal keyboard first. To properly open your laptop consult a repair manual or search online on the proper procedure.

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

mystified, did you solve that since?

edit:
hhmmmm, it seems they "won't be back": http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 75#p637375