Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Openbox / Screen tearing / Compton

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
pawRoot

Openbox / Screen tearing / Compton

#1 Post by pawRoot »

Hi

I really want to get Openbox working on my machine properly, but the problem is screen tearing.
I have tried both Compton and xcompmgr, and it tears on both, I tried to run Compton with those settings:

Code: Select all

compton -b --backend xrender --vsync opengl
(compositing is working but tearing still there)

compton -b --backend glx --vsync opengl-swc
(fixes tearing, but my desktop is laggy and slow, also if i move some windows CPU goes from 1% to even 30!)

Is there anything else i can try?
Last edited by pawRoot on 2017-02-23 02:45, edited 2 times in total.

stevepusser

Re: Openbox / Screen tearing / Compton

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Could be some magical mystical setting option for the Nvidia driver. This one seems to have fixed the same kind of issue for a user of MX Linux when nothing else would: http://www.thelinuxrain.com/articles/go ... a-try-this

MX Linux thread: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 5&p=407442
MX Linux packager and developer

pawRoot

#3 Post by pawRoot »

And how do i install Nouveau? in past after installing Debian i was just booting my OS and had the nouveau preinstalled, but nowadays if i install Debian i have to use "nouveau.modeset=0" at boot, and then install propiertary drivers following Debian wiki, otherwise i just get "NO SIGNAL" on my display.

pawRoot

#4 Post by pawRoot »

stevepusser wrote:Could be some magical mystical setting option for the Nvidia driver. This one seems to have fixed the same kind of issue for a user of MX Linux when nothing else would: http://www.thelinuxrain.com/articles/go ... a-try-this

MX Linux thread: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 5&p=407442
Thanks alot, it seems to fix the problem, i remember reading this guide in past and it didn't work, so kinda weird but it works now.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Nice! If it continues to work, please add [SOLVED] to the title of your first post by editing it, and also add something about it being for the Nvidia driver. That's to help others with the same problem find it.
MX Linux packager and developer

pawRoot

Re: [SOLVED] Openbox / Screen tearing / Compton

#6 Post by pawRoot »

The problem i have is that there is no xorg.conf file on my HDD, so what should i do? Is there other way to execute the command at auto start?

pawRoot

#7 Post by pawRoot »

I try to fix it on XFCE4 currently, so i added it to autostart as command, but it's not getting executed :/

pawRoot

#8 Post by pawRoot »

Second problem is if i run this command while having second display connected, im loosing signal :twisted:

pawRoot

#9 Post by pawRoot »

I guess im tied to Gnome3, looks like there isn't any other tear free DE in Linux world :(
And the solution above works but then i can't use 2 displays...

Thx everyone anyway im done with this :D

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#10 Post by None1975 »

pawRoot wrote:I guess im tied to Gnome3, looks like there isn't any other tear free DE in Linux world :(
And the solution above works but then i can't use 2 displays...Thx everyone anyway im done with this :D
Hello. I use i3wm+compton. With open-source drivers for Nvidia card, i don't have any tearing.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

pawRoot

#11 Post by pawRoot »

None1975 wrote:
pawRoot wrote:I guess im tied to Gnome3, looks like there isn't any other tear free DE in Linux world :(
And the solution above works but then i can't use 2 displays...Thx everyone anyway im done with this :D
Hello. I use i3wm+compton. With open-source drivers for Nvidia card, i don't have any tearing.
The problem is Nouveau don't work for me, and when it did the perfofmance was totally awfull, and i dont pay 300 euro for GPU to have laggy interface :roll:

Danielsan

#12 Post by Danielsan »

pawRoot wrote:I try to fix it on XFCE4 currently, so i added it to autostart as command, but it's not getting executed :/
I had the same problem I resolved delaying the autostart of 1 second, something like:

sh -c 'sleep 1 && nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceCompositionPipeline = On }" &'
Somewhere I read you can also add that line to your Xorg.conf or another xorg file "ad hoc" but it never worked for me so I returned to the autostart xfce feature.

pawRoot

#13 Post by pawRoot »

@Danielsan Did you try using multiple displays with this settings on? It doesn't work for me

Danielsan

#14 Post by Danielsan »

pawRoot wrote:@Danielsan Did you try using multiple displays with this settings on? It doesn't work for me
Not sure what you said, I have one only monitor...
Anyway this is the exact string I use:

sh -c 'sleep 1 && nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"'
Try this one.

pawRoot

#15 Post by pawRoot »

Thanks but i gave up already with Openbox, I am using 2 displays quite often and as i said with command above second display isn't working.

Danielsan

#16 Post by Danielsan »

This is the main difference between a Windows Manager and a Desktop Environment, the latter can almost handle all these configuration issues.

Anyway the Arch Wiki is a good source where finding info: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multihead