Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Broken packages in Jessie

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
oldboy

Broken packages in Jessie

#1 Post by oldboy »

I have been using testing since wheezy becomes stable. At the time, testing is Jessie. My sources.list has testing in all the lines. Since about June 2016, I have been having boot errors, and have done updates to try and correct them, but they persisted. However, the system still works as usual, so I just ignored the boot errors. I would like your help to fix them so I can have a clean system.
Here is what I have done. I changed my sources.list to replace testing with jessie. Update and dist-upgrade. Reboot and same error messages.

While booting, the error messages are
failed to start raise network interface, then
failed to start load kernel module, then
A start job is running for dev-disk-by ...... (1m 30s)
eventually it would boot.

Here are some details from dmesg:

Code: Select all

networking.service        loaded    failed   failed    Raise network interfaces
  NetworkManager-wait-online.service loaded    active   exited    Network Manager Wait Online
  NetworkManager.service    loaded    active   running   Network Manager

postgresql@9.4-main.service loaded    failed   failed    PostgreSQL Cluster 9.4-main
● postgresql@9.5-main.service loaded    failed   failed    PostgreSQL Cluster 9.5-main
  pppd-dns.service          loaded    inactive dead      Restore /etc/resolv.conf if the system crashe

systemd-modules-load.service loaded    failed   failed    Load Kernel Modules
  systemd-quotacheck.service loaded    inactive dead      File System Quota Check
  systemd-random-seed.service loaded    active   exited    Load/Save Random Seed
  systemd-reboot.service    loaded    inactive dead      Reboot    
  systemd-remount-fs.service loaded    active   exited    Remount Root and Kernel File Systems
  systemd-rfkill.service    loaded    inactive dead      Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status
  systemd-sysctl.service    loaded    active   exited    Apply Kernel Variables
● systemd-sysusers.service  not-found inactive dead      systemd-sysusers.service
  systemd-timesyncd.service loaded    inactive dead      Network Time Synchronizatio
There are also a number of packages not found, here is a sample:

apparmor.service          not-found inactive dead      apparmor.service
  apt-daily.service         loaded    inactive dead      Daily apt activities
  atd.service               loaded    active   running   Deferred execution scheduler
● auditd.service            not-found inactive dead      auditd.service
  auth-rpcgss-module.service loaded    inactive dead      Kernel Module supporting RPCSEC_GSS
  avahi-daemon.service      loaded    active   running   Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack
  bind9.service             loaded    active   running   BIND Domain Name Server
  binfmt-support.service    loaded    active   exited    Enable support for additional executable bina
● clamav-daemon.service     not-found inactive dead      clamav-daemon.service
I looked at the Synaptic Module Manager, and there are no broken packages. However, In Aptitude, it shows there are 45 broken , and it is trying to resolve dependencies which went on for a long time, and I ended it.

Please advice what I can do. TIA.

Another thing that came up, my /boot is getting full. Here is the content. Can I delete all files relating to 3.16...4.7.0-1 since I am using 4.8.0-1?

root@debian:/boot# ls
config-3.16.0-4-amd64	   lost+found
config-3.16-2-amd64	   System.map-3.16.0-4-amd64
config-4.3.0-1-amd64	   System.map-3.16-2-amd64
config-4.4.0-1-amd64	   System.map-4.3.0-1-amd64
config-4.5.0-1-amd64	   System.map-4.4.0-1-amd64
config-4.5.0-2-amd64	   System.map-4.5.0-1-amd64
config-4.6.0-1-amd64	   System.map-4.5.0-2-amd64
config-4.7.0-1-amd64	   System.map-4.6.0-1-amd64
config-4.8.0-1-amd64	   System.map-4.7.0-1-amd64
grub			   System.map-4.8.0-1-amd64
initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64  vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64
initrd.img-3.16-2-amd64    vmlinuz-3.16-2-amd64
initrd.img-4.3.0-1-amd64   vmlinuz-4.3.0-1-amd64
initrd.img-4.4.0-1-amd64   vmlinuz-4.4.0-1-amd64
initrd.img-4.5.0-1-amd64   vmlinuz-4.5.0-1-amd64
initrd.img-4.5.0-2-amd64   vmlinuz-4.5.0-2-amd64
initrd.img-4.6.0-1-amd64   vmlinuz-4.6.0-1-amd64
initrd.img-4.7.0-1-amd64   vmlinuz-4.7.0-1-amd64
initrd.img-4.8.0-1-amd64   vmlinuz-4.8.0-1-amd64
root@debian:/boot# 
This oldboy has a lot of time in his hands
Linux slows down my Alzheimer and dementia :lol:

stevepusser

Re: Broken packages in Jessie

#2 Post by stevepusser »

I suspect that testing was stretch for a long time before you changed it to jessie. As such, you really can't downgrade to jessie if you have a lot of Stretch packages--so I suggest you change "jessie" to "stretch" and wait until it goes stable.

You can get rid of the unused kernels' files in /boot. Have you also checked to make sure how many kernels you have installed?
MX Linux packager and developer

oldboy

Re: Broken packages in Jessie

#3 Post by oldboy »

I did leave the sources.list with testing, i.e., did not change anything. I did update and dist-upgrade, and it cannot boot. If I do nothing, leaving testing in, how would I go about correcting all the missing packages, and the broken packages identified ny aptitude?
This oldboy has a lot of time in his hands
Linux slows down my Alzheimer and dementia :lol: