Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE network group

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
margaretH

KDE network group

#1 Post by margaretH »

In the Debian Wiki

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse

It is stated that KDE has a group name of netdev.

I did look through /etc/group
and there is no name of netdev

I am trying to set up the wify in KDE .

I did recently switch to KDE from gdm3 and have trimmed 'deleted non essential packages' gdm3 down to bare essentials and still use the wify for updating the system software.

If there are recent docs, tutorials, howto`s for kde full 5:77+deb7u1 please allow me to know the internet address.

Thank you.

bw123

Re: KDE network group

#2 Post by bw123 »

recent docs, tutorials, howto`s for kde full 5:77+deb7u1
That's a wheezy version according to this, so recent docs will be hard to find.
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/kde-full

You can add a group called netdev if you think it will help. I never used kde on wheezy, so can't say whether it is actually required or not. I do not use netdev group on kde/jessie, but it's in /etc/group
I am trying to set up the wify in KDE
The link to wifihowtouse is a pretty good one, how far did you get?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

margaretH

#3 Post by margaretH »

I did not get any where.
i will log into gnome desktop for now. and use the wify uplink connection there for apt-get update, apt-get option.
i need to go through gnome gui conf files or write some scripts with the network manager and cmd line tools.

thank you.

Thorny

#4 Post by Thorny »

margaretH wrote:https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse

It is stated that KDE has a group name of netdev.
No, that is not what is stated, it states "1. Ensure your user account is a member of the netdev group."

So, step 1 is to make sure (ensure) that your user is a member of the netdev group.

You didn't do that.

I don't understand how you could expect any tutorial to work when you don't even follow the first step. I don't know if it would help in this case but it generally isn't a good idea to skip steps when trying to follow a tutorial.

You made this statement.
margaretH wrote:I did recently switch to KDE from gdm3 and have trimmed 'deleted non essential packages' gdm3 down to bare essentials and still use the wify for updating the system software.
I wonder how you decided what the "bare essentials" were and what all you "deleted".

I will mention that on a Wheezy system my user is a member of the netdev group even though I use Gnome on it. I don't know why yours is different.

I wonder if English is not your first language as I have difficulty understanding the statement in your previous post. How does,
margaretH wrote:"i need to go through gnome gui conf files or write some scripts with the network manager and cmd line tools"
, relate to the question you are asking about using WiFi on KDE?

The question that bw123 asked, "The link to wifi how to use is a pretty good one, how far did you get", seems reasonable to me. I'm pretty sure what bw123 meant was for you to detail, exactly, the steps you followed and what the results were. That is a method for troubleshooting, to see where any mistakes have happened. Perhaps the reason that that you didn't get "any where" [sic] is that you didn't follow the first step.
If English isn't your first language, perhaps going through the steps of the tutorial one at a time as I think bw123 was suggesting and making sure you followed them correctly would be helpful and give you a chance to ask about anything you aren't sure of.