Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Installation

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
kamtaot

Debian Installation

#1 Post by kamtaot »

Hi All,

I am new to Debian, and I tried searching this forum before posting the query. Unfortunately, I could not find an answer, so I am posting this. The second point is that I do not know if this is the right place to post this query.

On my Windows 10 machine, I plugged in the Debian USB, and there is a setup.exe file in there. I double clicked it, and it did something and finally asked me to restart. I rebooted the machine, and it started installing Debian on my desktop. Then it mentioned that it does not have Realtek WiFi drivers. So I cancelled the installation so I can search for the drivers first and then come back for installation.

When I restarted, Windows started going to recovery mode asks me every time whether it should start Windows or Debian while I have not installed Debian on my Toshiba All in One desktop as I did not get the WiFi Drivers. Can somebody help me with two things?

1. How can get the Realtek WiFi Drivers for my Toshiba All in One desktop? The model number is LX835-d32220. I tried searching the net for the right WiFi model used in that device but could not identify it. If I get this, I want to install Debian and test it.

2. How can I get rid of getting into the recovery mode in Windows 10 every time I turn on my computer?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
kam

marcetm

Re: Debian Installation

#2 Post by marcetm »

Hi kamtaot,

Answering your questions,

1.- You'll need firmware-realtek package in order to make your wireless card working. You can get more information from:

https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x#Debian_8_.22Jessie.22

2.- Windows 10 will try to troubleshooting itself, you should follow the troubleshooter but this is not the right place to solve this other issue of yours, anyway I advise you to first fix this to avoid get your laptop get in a mess and you'll not be able to start in none of your OS's.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

The Realtek wifi drivers are built into the kernel, but they will require the addition of the non-free firmware-realtek package to function. If you have recent hardware, there is also a chance that the wifi chipset is not supported by the 2014 vintage Jessie kernel, and will need a new kernel and firmware from jessie-backports. If you can get the exact chipset of the wifi device and tell us, that would be helpful. You should be able to get that in Win 10.
MX Linux packager and developer

kamtaot

#4 Post by kamtaot »

Thanks a lot for the help. I tried again installation and Debian asked me to load the drivers from removable media for "rtlwifi/rtl8723fw_B.bin".

By the way, the could able to fix my windows completely...