Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnome 3.x

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Job

Gnome 3.x

#1 Post by Job »

I installed Debian for a friend last Friday but I was stroked by something I never saw before. I did some updates on CLI and every went well but while showing him how life is on Debian, Gnome said there is an update. We clicked on the proposed update but then Gnome said it will restart the system and install updates.

For Gnome users on the board, is it something new in Gnome land? Why restart the box and do updates.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

phenest

Re: Gnome 3.x

#2 Post by phenest »

What version of Debian?
What version of Gnome?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

edbarx

#3 Post by edbarx »

Job wrote:Why restart the box and do updates.
Oh Job, Job! Don't you realise it is for newbies so that they feel at home?

Job, if you and your friend want Linux as it used to be, consider the options. At least, there were some "mad" developers who, notwithstanding the mammoth Debian is, committed themselves to fork it.
Last edited by edbarx on 2017-02-26 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

golinux

#4 Post by golinux »

Job wrote:For Gnome users on the board, is it something new in Gnome land? Why restart the box and do updates.
Because Gnome wants to make Windows users feel "at home"? Isn't that the new target market?
May the FORK be with you!

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Kernel update perhaps?

It is unwise to continue running an old kernel version when an update has been installed because any modules subsequently loaded will not be compatible.

EDIT: to find out what actually happened, consult the logs:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... stemd-logs
deadbang

Job

#6 Post by Job »

phenest wrote:What version of Debian? Stretch.
What version of Gnome?
Had to place a call...it seems this is 3.22.
edbarx wrote:
Job wrote:Why restart the box and do updates.
Oh Job, Job! Don't you realise it is for newbies so that they feel at home?

Job, if you and your friend want Linux as it used to be, consider the options. At least, there were some "mad" developers who, notwithstanding the mammoth Debian is, committed themselves to fork it.
I hear you, I am running Stretch on a desktop with i3 and Devuan on a laptop with i3 as well. Didn't play with Gnome until this weekend.
golinux wrote:Because Gnome wants to make Windows users feel "at home"? Isn't that the new target market?
That's some embrace right there, the one to choke some of us.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

golinux

#7 Post by golinux »

@Job . . . This might also help to explain things Gnome (and GTK3).
May the FORK be with you!

Job

#8 Post by Job »

" Yet what I’m hearing is that with GNOME v3 the goal is to promote their “brand” and make it dominant, in part by greatly limiting what users can change on their own systems, and partly by breaking or simply removing whatever support they’re no longer promoting as ‘The Way’."

With this kind of thinking from Linux developers, Linux is doomed. Just a matter of time. Maybe I should start building my own stuff from scratch.
golinux wrote:@Job . . . This might also help to explain things Gnome (and GTK3).
#aptitude install life
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

vbrummond

#9 Post by vbrummond »

I already jumped ship from desktop Linux. The glory days were when I used openSUSE 10.3 and I get so much nostalgia even thinking about it. :) I honestly felt like I had the best computer system in the world using it.

Gnome 3 right now is technologically the best desktop you can use on Linux. It has proper Wayland support, and search indexing.
Always on Debian Testing

phenest

#10 Post by phenest »

Job wrote:" Yet what I’m hearing is that with GNOME v3 the goal is to promote their “brand” and make it dominant,
I think that applies to all developers.
Job wrote: in part by greatly limiting what users can change on their own systems,
Such as?
Job wrote: and partly by breaking
Such as?
Job wrote: or simply removing whatever support they’re no longer promoting as ‘The Way’."
Not all desktop users are interested in gimmicky widgets, or want to constantly "tweak" it.
Job wrote:With this kind of thinking from Linux developers, Linux is doomed. Just a matter of time.
Gnome 3 is an original approach to desktop design. Nothing wrong with original thinking.
Job wrote:Maybe I should start building my own stuff from scratch.
That's the spirit!
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

swirling_vortex

#11 Post by swirling_vortex »

golinux wrote:
Job wrote:For Gnome users on the board, is it something new in Gnome land? Why restart the box and do updates.
Because Gnome wants to make Windows users feel "at home"? Isn't that the new target market?
Actually, it was taken from OS X.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/SoftwareUpdates

This hooks into systemd and uses PackageKit to manage the updates. The reason for the reboot is that it puts the computer into single user mode before updating so that there's no problems with your terminal or X disconnecting abruptly or potential issues with running apps being updated.

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/sy ... dates.html
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features ... temUpdates