Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnome and memory use

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Widgeteye

Gnome and memory use

#1 Post by Widgeteye »

I came in the computer room this morning and looked up at conky and saw:
Ram Used: 4.7 GiB Ram Total: 7.82 GiB, Seeing that over 4 Gig was being used, I of course freaked, so I brought up top to see what was using all the ram and saw that nothing was using all that ram. lol
It was all in buffers, shared and caches. Over 3 gig was in cache. I have never seen this much ram in cache and I'm wondering if Gnome is putting this ram in cache, which is fine because Debian/Gnome is a lot faster than some of the other distributions I've tried. Mint for instance took 20 seconds to bring up Chromium and 10 seconds to bring up Firefox. On Debian/Gnome each one pops up almost instantly. I am really liking Debian, I think I tried all the distributions out there and many of them fell short of the mark. I used Slackware for over 20 years and loved it but it does not have a dependency tracking package manager and to be honest I am just getting too damned old to sit in this chair hour upon hour tracking down dependencies, building and installing. But I digress.......

Any thoughts on this memory thing? This is not a complaint, I am just surprised at the amount of caching and buffering, which I suppose is a good thing. lol

Thanks

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Gnome and memory use

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

looked up at conky and saw:
conky is useful but is it part of gnome now? Maybe some searches, or 'man conky' can give you some tips about getting it to report better information.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

what are the conky commands to display ram usage?
do you have a "no_buffers yes/no" line in there?