Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Oh no! Something has gone... After installing nvidia drivers

Need help with peripherals or devices?
JPlock

Oh no! Something has gone... After installing nvidia drivers

#1 Post by JPlock »

This problem first happened when i tried to install steam on my PC.
The installation from (https://wiki.debian.org/Steam) requires to (# aptitude install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386).
There is a disclaimer saying that : "Installing the 32-bit OpenGL libraries may uninstall the 64-bit drivers you may have previously installed. Installing the AMD graphics or NVIDIA graphics drivers for your system is recommended. The appropriate OpenGL library will be installed along with those drivers. If you installed these drivers from jessie-backports be sure to also install the 32 bit library from jessie-backports.", however I never have tried to install any nvidia drivers before, so i tried to follow the (# aptitude install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386) and i got a message saying that:
"Conflicting nouveau kernel module loaded

The free nouveau kernel module is currently loaded and conflicts with the non-free nvidia kernel module.
The easiest way to fix this is to reboot the machine once the installation has finished."

When the installation was finished I reboot the machine and got the "Oh no! Something has gone wrong." screen. I tried to fix this, but without success I reinstalled the debian 8.7. I thought that the problem was the absence of the 64-bit drivers, so I installed the latest version following (https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers) steps, but after ( # apt-get install -t jessie-backports nvidia-driver ) I got the same "Conflicting nouveau kernel module loaded" as before and the following "Oh no!" screen after rebooting.

Somehow I managed this time to restore my PC back, but i had to remove all the nvidia drivers that I had installed.

Can someone help me or at least explain why this is happening? I just started exploring debian linux and have never tired other linux distros, so yes I am a newbie.

dasein

Re: Oh no! Something has gone... After installing nvidia dri

#2 Post by dasein »

Starting with Debian really is doing things the hard way. Debian is not particularly newbie-friendly, nor does it try to be. Best available data say that the vast majority of Debian users began their Linux use with something else.

Since your goal is to run Steam, maybe install something that has Steam preinstalled and preconfigured: http://store.steampowered.com/steamos

JPlock

#3 Post by JPlock »

dasein

What would you recommend me? Ubuntu?
My plan was to migrate from windows to Debian and see what would be in my way and I hopped I could learn some things in the process of doing that

trailtron

#4 Post by trailtron »

Yes,Ubuntu is good.Others would be-Mint,Deepin or Elementarty

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

The Debian versions of the Nvidia drivers automatically blacklist the nouveau driver when the directions are followed correctly. This means something went wrong on your end, since it's not blacklisted--so you did not actually install them. If you want to troubleshoot the process, you need to start from the beginning, run those commands in a terminal, and actually watch the output to see what goes wrong. It's OK to post the output in a code box here if you have any questions.

MX-Linux is also newbie-friendly, and closer to Debian than Ubuntu or Deepin. SolydXK is another good choice that's also just one step removed from Debian, instead of having diverged more like Ubuntu.
MX Linux packager and developer

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

JPlock wrote:What would you recommend me? Ubuntu?
I already pointed you to SteamOS (a Debian respin with Steam preinstalled/configured). Even gave you a handy link to their site; I'm afraid clicking it is up to you.
JPlock wrote:My plan was to migrate from windows to Debian...and I hopped I could learn some things in the process of doing that
There's still plenty to learn, even if you start with a newbie-friendly distro.

If SteamOS proves not to your liking, I second stevepusser's recommendations: SolydXK and Antix are both good choices, though I think Solyd might be more suitable for your use-case.

JPlock

#7 Post by JPlock »

dasein wrote:
JPlock wrote:What would you recommend me? Ubuntu?
I already pointed you to SteamOS (a Debian respin with Steam preinstalled/configured). Even gave you a handy link to their site; I'm afraid clicking it is up to you.
JPlock wrote:My plan was to migrate from windows to Debian...and I hopped I could learn some things in the process of doing that
There's still plenty to learn, even if you start with a newbie-friendly distro.

If SteamOS proves not to your liking, I second stevepusser's recommendations: SolydXK and Antix are both good choices, though I think Solyd might be more suitable for your use-case.
Oh, I am really glad that you did, that OS is totally new to me and I had to read about it to understand a little bit more, I will definitely consider as an option to move on with linux.

I will also look into those options.

Thank you.
Last edited by JPlock on 2017-03-05 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

JPlock

#8 Post by JPlock »

trailtron wrote:Yes,Ubuntu is good.Others would be-Mint,Deepin or Elementarty
I will see more about be-Mint,Deepin or Elementarty, I have never read something about them.

Thank you
Last edited by JPlock on 2017-03-05 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

JPlock

#9 Post by JPlock »

stevepusser wrote:The Debian versions of the Nvidia drivers automatically blacklist the nouveau driver when the directions are followed correctly. This means something went wrong on your end, since it's not blacklisted--so you did not actually install them. If you want to troubleshoot the process, you need to start from the beginning, run those commands in a terminal, and actually watch the output to see what goes wrong. It's OK to post the output in a code box here if you have any questions.

MX-Linux is also newbie-friendly, and closer to Debian than Ubuntu or Deepin. SolydXK is another good choice that's also just one step removed from Debian, instead of having diverged more like Ubuntu.
Could it be also possible that the Nvidia drivers failed to blacklist the nouveau driver? Because if the noveau drivers weren't blacklisted and the nivida drivers weren't installed, would i still get the "Oh no!" screen? It may be a stupid question, but in my point of view, the system could run normally using the nouveau drivers that weren't blacklisted.

Thanks for the options, I will look into that.

acewiza

#10 Post by acewiza »

My suggestion was going to be a clean install. There's obviously a mistake in there somewhere. I have different NVidia drivers working with various hardware combinations on Debian. On 2nd thought, Mint or Ubuntu might be easier/better under the circumstances.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

JPlock wrote:
stevepusser wrote:The Debian versions of the Nvidia drivers automatically blacklist the nouveau driver when the directions are followed correctly. This means something went wrong on your end, since it's not blacklisted--so you did not actually install them. If you want to troubleshoot the process, you need to start from the beginning, run those commands in a terminal, and actually watch the output to see what goes wrong. It's OK to post the output in a code box here if you have any questions.

Could it be also possible that the Nvidia drivers failed to blacklist the nouveau driver? Because if the noveau drivers weren't blacklisted and the nivida drivers weren't installed, would i still get the "Oh no!" screen? It may be a stupid question, but in my point of view, the system could run normally using the nouveau drivers that weren't blacklisted.

I can't venture any guesses, since I can't know what you did. All I can do is look over the wreckage from a high altitude. A successful install will blacklist nouveau, then pop up a message to that effect which also recommends a reboot. Since you don't mention that message, I assume that your install failed.

What's your hardware, and which driver did nvidia-detect recommend when you ran it?
MX Linux packager and developer

JPlock

#12 Post by JPlock »

stevepusser wrote:
JPlock wrote:

I can't venture any guesses, since I can't know what you did. All I can do is look over the wreckage from a high altitude. A successful install will blacklist nouveau, then pop up a message to that effect which also recommends a reboot. Since you don't mention that message, I assume that your install failed.

What's your hardware, and which driver did nvidia-detect recommend when you ran it?
my hardware is:
Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz × 4
Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) 64-bit
7,7 GiB RAM
198,1 GB HD
Intel® Haswell Mobile (that is what debian recognize but I acctually have a intel HD graphics 4400)
nvidia geforce 840m (this is the dedicated graphic card that I mainly use on windows)

So debian doesn't recognize any of my cards?

Segfault

#13 Post by Segfault »

Do you have Optimus graphics? You need to know your hardware.

JPlock

#14 Post by JPlock »

Segfault wrote:Do you have Optimus graphics? You need to know your hardware.
Yes I do! Do I need to install Bumblebee then?

Segfault

#15 Post by Segfault »

Your options to get it working (from Arch wiki):
1. using the official Optimus support included with the proprietary NVIDIA driver, which offers the best NVIDIA performance but does not allow GPU switching and can be more buggy than the open-source driver.
2. using the PRIME functionality of the open-source nouveau driver, which allows GPU switching and powersaving but offers poor performance compared to the proprietary NVIDIA driver and may cause issues with sleep and hibernate.
3. using the third-party Bumblebee program to implement Optimus-like functionality, which offers GPU switching and powersaving but requires extra configuration.

JPlock

#16 Post by JPlock »

Segfault wrote:Your options to get it working (from Arch wiki):
1. using the official Optimus support included with the proprietary NVIDIA driver, which offers the best NVIDIA performance but does not allow GPU switching and can be more buggy than the open-source driver.
2. using the PRIME functionality of the open-source nouveau driver, which allows GPU switching and powersaving but offers poor performance compared to the proprietary NVIDIA driver and may cause issues with sleep and hibernate.
3. using the third-party Bumblebee program to implement Optimus-like functionality, which offers GPU switching and powersaving but requires extra configuration.

What would you do if you were in this situation?

Thank you for the options.
Last edited by JPlock on 2017-03-11 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

Segfault

#17 Post by Segfault »

If battery life is not an issue I'd go with option 1. Option 2 is not bad, either. I do not agree fully with their statement about nouveau poor performance.

JPlock

#18 Post by JPlock »

Segfault wrote:If battery life is not an issue I'd go with option 1. Option 2 is not bad, either. I do not agree fully with their statement about nouveau poor performance.
I should follow https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers/Optimus to do option 1 right?

Why wouldn't you go for bumblebee? When I was trying to understand what went wrong I saw many people advising to stick with it, instead of downloading any nvidia drivers, since the bumblebee primus already search and install any drivers needed(if I am not mistaken)

Segfault

#19 Post by Segfault »

I like to keep my installations simple, just a personal preference. You do what you like.

JPlock

#20 Post by JPlock »

Segfault wrote:I like to keep my installations simple, just a personal preference. You do what you like.
Thank you very much, I will try option 1 first, if something goes wrong I will go for 3