Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

apt-get install wants a binary file I can't find

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
WRenol

apt-get install wants a binary file I can't find

#1 Post by WRenol »

I am changing from Win7 to Debian8. I have a new used laptop with the install done. I have granted my user sudo rights. Don't have a clue but will learn. I want to install rsync to backup the install prior to doing anything else and want to do it offline. So I did sudo apt-get install rysnc and the screen gives me lots of information and says "the following NEW packages will be installed: rsync.... Media change: please insert the disc labeled 'Debian GNU/Linux 8.6.0 _Jessie_ -Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20160917-14:25 ". I've looked and it looks like I can get 8.7.x but I don't know about binary files . On my desktop for User is debian-8.6.0-source-DVD-1.iso . Not a binary. If I were to update to 8.7.x or leave things at 8.6.0 how do I find 'Debian GNU/Linux 8.6.0 _Jessie_ -Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20160917-14:25' . Like I said, I don't have a clue but learned enough to add myself to the sudo group so have high hopes. I know I can do a lot more on line but want a backup from the original install prior to going online, hence rsync needs to be installed...
Thank,
WRenol

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: apt-get install wants a binary file I can't find

#2 Post by arochester »

Your computer is asking for the Install Disk because it thinks it is still a Repository.

You need to edit your sources list and stop the line about the CD/DVD by putting a # at the beginning of the line.

I use Leafpad to edit so the command I use is

Code: Select all

sudo leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list
Make the change. Save. Close. Try again.

You might have another editor, not Leafpad, in which case you need to substitute that.

For general guidance look at https://linuxpanda.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... -8-jessie/ --- but don't blindly do everything!

WRenol

#3 Post by WRenol »

Thanks,
I need a little time to find an editor and how to move around before I do it wrong. I appreciate your help.
wrenol

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

I use nano from a terminal

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
then make the suggested changes, when you are finished press ctrl x then enter twice and it should be saved. And don't forget to

sudo apt-get update
after changing sources.list (before trying to install anything)

pendrachken

#5 Post by pendrachken »

Dai_trying wrote:I use nano from a terminal

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
then make the suggested changes, when you are finished press ctrl x then enter twice and it should be saved. And don't forget to

sudo apt-get update
after changing sources.list (before trying to install anything)

Too many keystrokes! And you forgot typing "y" when it asks if the file name it saves to is correct, which adds more keystrokes.

Just kidding about the too many keystrokes, but in nano it IS easier to just hit the F3 key, enter, F2 key.... unless you have to hit a Fn key to get normal F1-12 keys.

F3 is the save dialog like you get when exiting with ctrl-X and F2 is the exact same as ctrl-x.

You COULD just hit F2
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

WRenol

#6 Post by WRenol »

probably not significantly different. I seem to not have nano, but have pico and have been doing all editing with pico. Any way, the file is now correctly edited and named I think. Still no rsync.

And thanks for the Function Key info.

wrenol
Last edited by WRenol on 2017-03-05 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

WRenol

Re: apt-get install wants a binary file fixed / rsync not

#7 Post by WRenol »

I originally wanted to make a backup before going online but have done apt-get update online. I was successful in not getting the error message. I probably need to change the title and will do so if that is the right thing to do. I don't have the apt-get install wants a binary file I can't find problem now. I originally wanted to install rsync to make my backup and when I "sudo apt-get install rsync both online and offline get the message reading package list... done, building dependency tree. Reading state information... done. Package rsync is not available, but is referred to by another package.This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source. E: Package 'rsync' has no installation candidate"

So I edited the sources list and removed the # in front of deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib . I successfully updated the file sources.list but had the same original file and the edited one named sources.list.save . I didn't seem to have the rights to delete and rename or even know how to rename. So, I logged in as root and that is fixed: the edited file is correctly named now. I shut down and restarted. I get exactly the same message as above:

when I "sudo apt-get install rsync both online and offline get the message reading package list... done, building dependency tree. Reading state information... done. Package rsync is not available, but is referred to by another package.This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source. E: Package 'rsync' has no installation candidate"

On review of sources.list I noticed every source was jessie-updates. So, and I might well be wrong, I thought if it wasn't already installed, it might not be updatable, so I added a new line:
deb http://ftpdebian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib

Seemed reasonable, no change however, same error message

If I need to restart with a more accurate name for my help request to make it searchable, please let me know. Thank you for your help.
wrenol
Last edited by WRenol on 2017-03-05 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

rsync is available from the repositories - https://packages.debian.org/search?suit ... ords=rsync
If you can't install it, your sources may be incorrect. Post your sources.list file here.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

WRenol

#9 Post by WRenol »

#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.6.0 _Jessie_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20160917-14:25]/ jessie contrib main

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.6.0 _Jessie_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20160917-14:25]/ jessie contrib main

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib

# jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
# A network mirror was not selected during install. The following entries
# are provided as examples, but you should amend them as appropriate
# for your mirror of choice.
#
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

The last line in your sources should have rsysnc in that repo, since it's the main Debian repo.

What is the result of "apt-get update", then? (in a code box, please)

The Debian installer doesn't enable the online repos if it can't make a Net connection during the install; do you remember any messages like that?
MX Linux packager and developer

pendrachken

#11 Post by pendrachken »

stevepusser wrote:The last line in your sources should have rsysnc in that repo, since it's the main Debian repo.

What is the result of "apt-get update", then? (in a code box, please)

The Debian installer doesn't enable the online repos if it can't make a Net connection during the install; do you remember any messages like that?

I want to know what / how stuff was actually installed. Nano should have been installed with the base-system task in tasksel( it's a package marked is "important", which should get installed with base-system), and pico is SUPPOSED to be an /etc/alternatives symlink to..... NANO! There actually isn't a pico binary package in the debian repos, because if I remember right it is BSD licensed. Nano is a clone of... ahem I mean, inspired by BSD pico.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

WRenol

#12 Post by WRenol »

No, I don't remember anything like that, but...
I just followed your suggestion and got a lot of unseen output... haven't tried to confirm my problem is solved, but may well be.
I attached 2 files: one apt-get update and one apt-get install rsync

I don't know, I tried before and maybe I failed to restart the computer after the addition of the last line but it didn't do it then, and appears to have now.

I really appreciate your help.
wrenol

for pendrachken: I didn't do the install. I ordered a refurbished Lenovo T400 with the install done before I received the machine. I know my way around the lighted areas of Win 7, but not Linux (yet).

So I went baack and tried rysnc man: and got: rsync man.png, attached

I'm attaching the files but I don't see them after I hit submit, If I am doing something wrong, let me know and I'll fix it.
WR

GarryRicketson

#13 Post by GarryRicketson »

by WRenol »So I went baack and tried rysnc man: and got: rsync man.png, attached

I'm attaching the files but I don't see them after I hit submit, If I am doing something wrong, let me know and I'll fix it.
I was out all day, and the thread is pretty long, so forgive me if I am missing something,or things,...
But , Are you trying to attach files with information, out put, etc. to your post ?
That can not be done , the forum does not accept attachments,..
Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes
Postby GarryRicketson » 2016-09-12 21:36
You can also use : http://paste.debian.net/
For code and scripts, then post a link to your post here.
If you still have questions on that, you can start another topic, or PM me,
Sorry to interupt the topic.
====
So I went baack and tried rysnc man: and got: rsync man.png, attached
I don't understand,..

rysnc  man 
is not a command that would work,
and why are you trying to do that ?
If you want to read the manual on 'rysnc', the
command is:

man rsync
If 'rsync' is not installed, there probably is not going to be a manual.
Perhaps the best way to explain the syntax is with some examples:

rsync -t *.c foo:src/

This would transfer all files matching the pattern *.c from the
current directory to the directory src on the machine foo. If any
of the files already exist on the remote system then the rsync
remote-update protocol is used to update the file by sending only
the differences. See the tech report for details.

rsync -avz foo:src/bar /data/tmp
For more details on using the 'man' command:

man man 
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-03-06 02:40, edited 1 time in total.

WRenol

#14 Post by WRenol »

I need to work at understanding : Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes

I'll get back after I know more what I'm doing. Thanks.
WR