Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

mouse cursor jumps and clicks randomly after standby

Need help with peripherals or devices?
chris+

mouse cursor jumps and clicks randomly after standby

#1 Post by chris+ »

I'm using debian quite for a while on a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga. I started with Debian stable (Jessie) and switched now to testing, but in both versions I can see the same behaviour:
Problem:
  • When I boot the the laptop, everything works fine and I can work for hours and hours.
  • After standby and waking up often everything works fine again, but after several times using standby and waking up it can happen that the mouse cursor suddenly starts moving and clicking randomly. Often it starts slowly and is getting worse when I try to use the touchpad.
Temporary solution:
  • By Typing the following code the mouse cursor stops moving randomly and I can go on working with a bluetooth-mouse:

Code: Select all

rmmod psmouse
  • A shutdown and booting again always solves the problem - until using standby several times.
Any ideas to solve the problem? Which information do you need? I can also write a bug report but I'm not sure which package or module is the really responsible for this.
Regards,
Chris

bw123

Re: mouse cursor jumps and clicks randomly after standby

#2 Post by bw123 »

maybe something along these lines will fix it?

http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Unix/ ... 0higher%29

or maybe just blacklist psmouse module altogether if it's not needed?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

chris+

#3 Post by chris+ »

Thank you very much for your reply.
At first I checked my parameter psmouse.resetafter:

$ cat /sys/module/psmouse/parameters/resetafter 
Obviously it is already set and didn't helped (as Jeff Hunter also said in the article you linked).

So I forced psmouse to the basic mode with this line in /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.conf:

options psmouse proto=bare
Manually this works but it did not used this parameter automatically at boot time. So to solve this quick'n'dirty I reloaded the modul at boot time with this lines in /etc/rc.local:

modprobe -r psmouse
modprobe psmouse
Now my touchpad is always using the basic protocol. As I said, it always takes several days of standby and waking up so we'll see if the mouse stays friendly.

Thanks again!
Regards,
chris+

chris+

#4 Post by chris+ »

I monitored it a while and after a month I can say that this does not solve the problem. Even with proto=bare sometimes the mouse starts moving without touching the touchpad.

At the moment, the laptop isn't able to standby by the way. Maybe it is because of the testing-version of Debian. Maybe this is solved with the next update - but maybe I should write a bug report. I'm not sure...