Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Grub Rescue. Unable to Access Windows OS.

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Saturnize

Grub Rescue. Unable to Access Windows OS.

#1 Post by Saturnize »

Hello everyone. I am in dire need of Your help this evening. I recently installed the latest Debian build on My machine that is running Windows 7. I have two solid state drives and two mechanical drives. The solid states are used for the operating system(s) and the mechanical are for other miscellaneous files. During the installation, when prompted, I chose to install Debian on My empty SSD (120 GB), however when prompted to install the grub loader, I chose to install that on My primary SSD (250 GB) where windows is installed. I went through the initial boot of Debian after all the files were copied to the SSD, but then it would simply sit at the

Code: Select all

Loading, please wait...
dev/ssd2: xxxxxx/xxxxxxx files, xxxxxx/xxxxxxx blocks
screen. So then I just said "I'll just install the grub loader on the SSD where Debian is at." Then I reinstalled Debian, but this time put the grub loader on the same SSD Debian was at. Same result (Loading, please wait...). Ok, Debian isn't working with Me for some reason, I'll just go back to windows for a bit... But wait, when I select and boot from the SSD that I installed windows on I get this message:

error: device dhhfthvfgvf not found
Grub rescue>
It's as if I deleted My windows partition, but I know this cannot be the case. I just don't know what to do from this point. I just really need Your help. Please!

Saturnize

Machine hangs during initial boot.

#2 Post by Saturnize »

Everytime I've attempted to run Debian on its initial boot, My computer gets stuck at:

Loading, please wait...
It's been at this screen for a good three hours. What seems to be the problem??

GarryRicketson

Re: Grub Rescue. Unable to Access Windows OS.

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

Please do not start 2 topics on the same problem,
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 91#p638700

Maybe read: Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
Before you start using Debian User Forums, please observe the following guidelines:

1. Do not cross post. Posting the same topic in more than one category only creates confusion and makes it hard to keep track on the various replies. Double posts will be locked.

phenest

Re: Machine hangs during initial boot.

#4 Post by phenest »

What Debian version? What computer?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Saturnize

#5 Post by Saturnize »

I'm not posting two topics of the same problem. Why would I do that? They are clearly their own separate issues.

Saturnize

#6 Post by Saturnize »

The latest version of Debian: Jesse 8.7.1 I believe. I have a 64 bit Intel CPU.

phenest

#7 Post by phenest »

Gonna need a lot more info on your hardware, such as video card.

Saturnize

#8 Post by Saturnize »

It's an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960. I Also have 8 GB of RAM. A DVD drive. Two 1TB HDDS and two SSDs one 250 GB (Windows partition) and the other 120 GB (The target drive for Debian).

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

Machine hangs during initial boot.

Postby Saturnize » 2017-03-09 03:31
Everytime I've attempted to run Debian on its initial boot, My computer gets stuck at:

Loading, please wait...

It's been at this screen for a good three hours. What seems to be the problem??
Well it is the same problem, the only difference, in the other thread you
don't give the rest of the details, in fact none.
Post by Saturnize » 2017-03-09 03:21
Hello everyone. I am in dire need of Your help this evening. I recently installed the latest Debian build on My machine that is running Windows 7. I have two solid state drives and two mechanical drives. The solid states are used for the operating system(s) and the mechanical are for other miscellaneous files. During the installation, when prompted, I chose to install Debian on My empty SSD (120 GB), however when prompted to install the grub loader, I chose to install that on My primary SSD (250 GB) where windows is installed. I went through the initial boot of Debian after all the files were copied to the SSD, but then it would simply sit at the

Loading, please wait...
screen. So then I just said "I'll just install the grub loader on the SSD where Debian is at." Then I reinstalled Debian---snip---

phenest

#10 Post by phenest »

The fact that it is obviously loading and doing something, at least means it's installed ok. The reason for the "hang" could be that the video driver is having trouble.
Are you able to switch to a console? Alt+Ctrl+F1. (You may have to give it a moment before switching to a console is possible.) If so, it might be worth blacklisting the nouveau driver to see if the mesa driver will give you a graphical desktop, or maybe installing the nvidia binary driver.

Saturnize

#11 Post by Saturnize »

That key combination doesn't seem to be doing anything...

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

Are there any settings for the graphics hardware in the machine's BIOS/UEFI settings, such as enabling or disabling the Intel graphics, or setting one as the default?

Since you also have several drives, that's another possible point of failure; maybe GRUB was installed to the wrong drive of is looking in the wrong place. I'd try a live ISO of Debian 8 to check any graphics problems--if that fails to boot, I'd try a Stretch live session to see if that works better.
MX Linux packager and developer

Saturnize

#13 Post by Saturnize »

I just want to know how to use the

grub rescue>
commands to find the necessary grub files and save My already installed windows 7 OS. I shouldn't have to format ect.

Please help.

Saturnize

#14 Post by Saturnize »

Ok. I was able to obtain a live image for Debian 8 Jessie. When I tried the initial live boot option, it stopped working at the "Noeuveu" (However You spell it) option. So when it just stopped working, I reset My machine and tried the "FailSafe" option. Looks like this option is just what I need to be able to use My computer at the moment and its what I'm using as of this moment to type this message!

As for the GRUB loader, as far as I know no matter what drive I install it to it will just, hang. For instance, when I first installed Debian, I installed GRUB on the main SSD (250 GB) where My windows 7 partition is at as opposed to where I installed Debian (120 GB). It just stood there, so I said "enough of this" and reinstalled Debian but this time had the mind to install GRUB onto the same drive/partition where I also installed Debian. Still the same issue happens. It will just sit there and hang when I choose to load Debian from the GRUB loader installed on My 120 GB SSD. I think the issue may be a graphics driver issue, but I've never had this problem in the past when using Debian on My NVIDIA machine.

Also, the second time I installed Debian, there was a prompt for some sort of UEFI setting. I think this is where I messed up and somehow locked Myself out of using windows on My machine.

Here's My other thread related to the GRUB issue: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 52#p638852

Segfault

#15 Post by Segfault »

GRUB is not part of Linux or Debian. It ships with many operating systems, many Linux distros use it, but it is not associated with any OS. These here are Debian forums. You are off topic with your Windows and GRUB.

As always, you have a choice. You can sit here and wait until someone is bored enough to copy over parts of GRUB manual, or you can read the manual by yourself. Take your pick.

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manua ... l#Commands

Saturnize

#16 Post by Saturnize »

This is the problem I ran into when I installed Debian on My windows machine. As for manuals and such online, I have this one open https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Troubleshooting and have been reading it and entering some commands here and there hoping that the GRUB.cfg would be found, but other than that I really don't know how to make sense of it all. it's rather confusing. I'm just not too familiar with Linux/GNU. Please help.

phenest

#17 Post by phenest »

You're starting many threads on similar issues: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=132091

To fix Windows 10 booting, you're going to need to reinstall the MBR on the Windows 10 drive using a Windows 10 disk. But don't ask us how. Try a Windows 10 forum for that.

Saturnize

#18 Post by Saturnize »

If You're just going to make excuses for not helping Me then why post in My thread?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Threads merged.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Saturnize

#20 Post by Saturnize »

Merging the threads doesn't make sense because If I was able to for instance boot into My installed copy of Debian, I would still be unable to know how to use the

grub rescue>
command. That would get rid of one issue, but not the other. They are two separate issues. Do You understand?