Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install to USB gives Disk Boot Failure?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
ptmuldoon

Install to USB gives Disk Boot Failure?

#1 Post by ptmuldoon »

I've been trying to install Debian onto a USB stick that I can boot and make portable to take with me and boot/use on multiple machines. But each time I have tried, after the installation completes I get a Disk Boot Failure Error.

The steps I have I taken are as follows.

1. Downloaded a Live Debian ISO and installed that to a USB device with Rufus.
2. Booted that USB device.
3. With the Live Debian, Choose install to a second/different USB.
4. Manually Set Partitions and GRUB to be installed onto the second/different USB.

The installation appears to go 'fine' with no errors. Yet when I restart the machine and attempt to boot from the USB device, I keep getting 'Disk Boot Failure'. I have also tried by using a normal non-live CD image with Rufus as well.

And I have tried installing Debian on two different USB sticks and get the same error. And I can follow the same steps above and works when installing Mint Linux, Zorin, and few others. So I have ruled out any issue with the USB sticks and I have tried with different Debian ISO images with Rufus as well and get the same error after installing. Yet the same steps work with other OS as well.

Is there a step or trick I'm missing in installing Debian onto a USB?

debiman

Re: Install to USB gives Disk Boot Failure?

#2 Post by debiman »

i remember this, and there was a solution. i think it involved:
a) explicitely install grub to the usb drive
b) edit the grub.cfg to change the UUIDs

BUT:
even if you succeed, it will be slooooow!
what you really need is live usb with persistence.

ptmuldoon

#3 Post by ptmuldoon »

Thanks.

I will that and try and report back on the results.

Step 1 is already done. GRUB is/was installed to the USB device.

I am installing onto a USB3 device as well, and so far Zorin and Mint seemed pretty quick on it. But would prefer to try out Debian along with VMWare view-client installed and see how it works out.

ptmuldoon

#4 Post by ptmuldoon »

Well, I booted with Live Debian and then looked at the UUIDs within the grub.cfg and Fstab of my USB device and the UUIDs I see there matched the UUID of the device. So now I'm back to the beginning on why I'm getting a boot failure after installing to a USB device.

Anyone else have any suggestions on what to look for?

ptmuldoon

#5 Post by ptmuldoon »

I'm going to give this another shot later tonight and wonder if anyone has any other suggestions or recommendations?

Again, if you read the top post. I can install Mint, Zorin a few others fine from Live Image onto a USB stick. Yet when trying to install Debian, I get a disk boot failure.

So I install or 'burn' a live image with Rufus and then boot that USB device with no issue. Then insert a 2nd USB device to install to onto. The install proceeds with no issues, and have installed Grub on that USB device as well. Yet on a reboot that 2nd USB device throws the error. And have tried with multiple USB sticks and on different PCs

Any suggestions on what to look for/at?

Thanks
PT