Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Package name in local Debian package repository

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
I am a nobody

Package name in local Debian package repository

#1 Post by I am a nobody »

Hi,

I am setting up a local debian package repository, the purpose is to define three directories of test, stable and release where packages in test would be copied to stable after testing, then use apt-move to copy all packages from test to stable, then to release. One problem is I have a same name of package for example connection.deb which contains server addresses different for test, stable and release. Is possible to set up symbolic links with the same name but point to different names of real packages?

margaretH

Re: Package name in local Debian package repository

#2 Post by margaretH »

look into making a boot CD for each distribution version.

every thing on the whole system is subject to change .
Last edited by margaretH on 2017-03-12 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

Interesting,
=== edited==
was my comment when I tried typing, 'man apt' and hit the tab key twice
as suggested in the previous post, before it was edited,...

Code: Select all

$ man apt (hit tab key twice)
#gives this:
Display all 9173 possibilities? (y or n)
#if you select yes, it displays a list, on mine 
it was 9173 possibilities,...a pretty long list. 
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-03-13 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

If the contents of the package is going to be different between the stable and other releases, I don't think it makes sense for each one to have the exact same versioning. You could try sticking "stable", "testing", and "unstable" into the version strings so there won't be any collision between them.

Now I must go gaze into my navel to try and comprehend what margaretH was trying to say. I'll be back in seven years!
MX Linux packager and developer

I am a nobody

#5 Post by I am a nobody »

stevepusser wrote:If the contents of the package is going to be different between the stable and other releases, I don't think it makes sense for each one to have the exact same versioning. You could try sticking "stable", "testing", and "unstable" into the version strings so there won't be any collision between them.
The reason I need the same package name for test, stable and release is for my software development, some devices apt source list can point to test, some can point to stable and some could point to release, all of those have the same package update script which pointing to the same package name, for one configure package particular, it has include different server IP addresses for test, stable or release respectively, I only need to change the source list to enable devices connect to test, stable and release servers for different purposes.

Thank you.

phenest

#6 Post by phenest »

If the source.list is only pointing to 1 of the 3 sections, there should be no conflicts.

You say it's a problem. Are you getting errors, or issues?
stevepusser wrote:try and comprehend what margaretH was trying to say.
I'm not too sure about Garry's response. Pretty vague.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Thorny

#7 Post by Thorny »

I'm not too sure about Garry's response. Pretty vague.
Garry's comment about tab completion made more sense before margaretH edited the post today and took the suggestion out.

phenest

#8 Post by phenest »

Ah yes, I see now.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

I am a nobody

#9 Post by I am a nobody »

phenest wrote:If the source.list is only pointing to 1 of the 3 sections, there should be no conflicts.

You say it's a problem. Are you getting errors, or issues?
Sorry for not being clear here, my problem is not the client side package update. My problem is the internal structure and process of my local repository, let's say that the config.deb contains server IP address different for test, stable and release. In the following process, I need users / clients only see one common package name config.deb externally in test, stable and release, but that config.deb contains different server IP addresses in test, stable and release. The copy process in repository is automatically by apt commands, There is my question how can I keep two different versions of the config.deb one can be seen internally (config_test.deb, config_stable.deb, config_release.deb) and one can be seen externally (config.deb), then copy / move from internal package names to external package name from test to stable to release?

- Push the config.deb to test repository.
- After initial test, copy all our software packages including config.deb from test to stable
- After testing, copy all our software packages including config.deb from stable to release

margaretH

#10 Post by margaretH »

If a person types into a search engine the words ' system programming ' a person could find some free pdf `s to read.
Of the information that i have read is that each architecture ' cpu ' has a different instruction set.
Linux is not created for one and one only CPU and an associated set of hardware components as a proprietary computer OS is created.

Within the Environment that one is working with , the ' CPU and associated components ' one could look at each package`s update information , ' list changes ' .
apt-something list-changes package-name .