Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Closed] Razer Blackwidow works in grub, not login / desktop

Need help with peripherals or devices?
slayer29179

[Closed] Razer Blackwidow works in grub, not login / desktop

#1 Post by slayer29179 »

[Update] - It just started working out of no-where. I tried it in another computer and then back into mine and thats it. I have no idea.

Hi all!

First time poster here! I use the Debian forums quite a bit when I need help! Seems a good community :)

I have a strange issue! I've tried Googling my issue for a while now but I seem to have tried everything? (Bold statement, but maybe I'm just missing something). I can't find anyone with my exact issue!

The Debian forums also don't seem to contain anything like my Blackwidow issue.

So, my Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth used to work perfect (minus the macro keys, but I just ignored that).

I've not used it in about a month as I moved my computer so I was just using a cheap USB 2 keyboard.

I tried to plug it back in and it works in the BIOS and in GRUB. But as soon as I click enter on Debian it stops working. Its still lit up, but doesn't respond. It does work perfectly in my Windows 7 install.

LSUSB produces: (note, it has two USBs (one for the keyboard, one for the extra USB's)

Code: Select all

root@dan:/home/dan# lsusb
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 8087:8001 Intel Corp. 
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 8087:8009 Intel Corp. 
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0e8f:0021 GreenAsia Inc. Multimedia Keyboard Controller #cheap keyboard
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1532:0040 Razer USA, Ltd #razer keyboard
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1532:011a Razer USA, Ltd 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
I'm using Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 64-bit with Gnome Version 3.22.2

One thing I keep seeing online is Slow Keys, but its disabled. I found it on the login screen on the accessibility tab and its turned to Off.

I saw Legacy USB needs to be turned on in my BIOS too, which it is and hasn't been changed. (I did double check to make sure)

I've also tried it in the recovery modes I found in GRUB and same issue, works in GRUB not in Debian.

I've tried taking every USB out and only plugging in the keyboard. Same scenario.

My other keyboard worked fine. (the cheap one above)

The only thing I can think whats changed since is that before I plugged my Razer in, I was trying to install a Wireless dongle and having so much grief with it.

Here is a link to my

Code: Select all

journalctl -b
output.
http://pastebin.com/zSSTH4TZ

Thanks for reading and helping! :)

- Dan

p.s., I am fairly new to the journalctl part, if you see anything breathtakingly bad, please don't hesitate to let me know! :D
Last edited by slayer29179 on 2017-03-13 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

dasein

Re: Razer Blackwidow works in grub, not login / desktop

#2 Post by dasein »

Great first post. Plenty of pertinent detail, identifying what hasn't worked, etc.

The one thing you didn't mention is whether you've tried the whiz-bang keyboard on a different machine or a different OS/distro, just to rule out flaky-but-not-yet-dead hardware as the source of your problem. (Yes, it works in GRUB, but that's subtly different than what I'm suggesting.)

And if there's a USB hub involved, if you eliminated it, you didn't mention it.

slayer29179

#3 Post by slayer29179 »

Hi Dasein!

Thanks! :)

I tried it in Windows 7 on the same computer (Duel Boot), also just tried it on another machine running Windows 7 in a different room and on my Raspberry Pi using a powered HUB.

And... well now I'm shocked?

Its literally just started working :S

You're Magic!

I'm so clueless, I haven't done anything new? :S

Thank you very much! sorry for wasting your time!

Edit: Tried rebooting, and its still working. I have no idea. Can't have been dust in USB as it worked fine in Windows?

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

slayer29179 wrote:Its literally just started working :S
Gremlins fear me. :razz:
slayer29179 wrote:You're Magic!
It's why I get the big money :mrgreen:
slayer29179 wrote:Thank you very much! sorry for wasting your time!
You're entirely welcome. Glad you got it sorted. And not a waste of time if the gremlins are gone.
slayer29179 wrote:Edit: Tried rebooting, and its still working. I have no idea. Can't have been dust in USB as it worked fine in Windows?
Could be a short in the cable. Or a flaky USB port (if you only used one port for testing). Or gremlins. Maybe space aliens.