Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]Jessie 686 on Skylake processor

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
ticojohn

[SOLVED]Jessie 686 on Skylake processor

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I am currently running Jessie 8.7 with kernel 3.16 on an older processor (Core 2 Duo). If I were to install linux-image-686-pae (4.9+79~bpo8+1) from the jessie-backports, would I then be able to run on a motherboard with a Skylake processor or is a full upgrade to amd64 required?
Last edited by ticojohn on 2017-03-17 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

prppedro

Re: Jessie 686 on Skylake processor

#2 Post by prppedro »

Don't get it... Is t here any Core 2 Duo processor lacking 64-bit instruction set?
Linux User #457653

My PC specs: a bunch of old Intel chips, some memory, a just good enough GPU. I guess it ran Crysis, though UPS didn't quite like it.

In my experience, there's no such thing as Year of Linux...

ticojohn

#3 Post by ticojohn »

prppedro wrote:Don't get it... Is t here any Core 2 Duo processor lacking 64-bit instruction set?
Everything is fine on my current Core 2 Duo system. Thinking about getting a new motherboard with a Skylake processor which requires kernel 4.5 or newer. So, can I just install the kernel 4.9 linux image metapackage on my existing PAE 686 installation and then be able to run on a new motherboard with Skylake, or do I need to do a full install of amd64?

ticojohn

#4 Post by ticojohn »

Looks like it might be a bit more complex than just installing the kernel. Apparently I would need to also update all the installed packages from backports as well. Looks like it would be a better solution, as usual, to just install amd64.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Currently all 64-bit amd64-type processors also support 32-bit. So you have a choice--running 64-bit applications can consume more RAM, up to 30% more, but certain processes are noticeably faster, such as video transcoding. Many containerized programs, such as Appimages, can be only available in 64-bit.

If you're also using the Skylake graphics, you should do the same set of upgrades from backports regardless of whether you have 32 or 64-bit. Upgrading only the kernel won't get the graphics working correctly on either architecture.
MX Linux packager and developer

Segfault

#6 Post by Segfault »

Ladies and Germs, it is 2017 and computers have more than 1 GB of RAM. It is time to forget 32 bit. What use is this 30% memory saving if the memory really cannot be used?
https://cl4ssic4l.wordpress.com/2011/05 ... about-pae/

prppedro

#7 Post by prppedro »

It's pretty much what Steve said. We all know, the system software won't break after being transfered to another hardware. But I can't remember any reliable way of "changing architecture". There are several libs and bins specifically compiled for one or another plataform. Putting an 64-bit kernel on top of 32-bit system might break things. So it's a wise move to reinstall the system. In the end, there will be less headache than fighting against a broken system.
Linux User #457653

My PC specs: a bunch of old Intel chips, some memory, a just good enough GPU. I guess it ran Crysis, though UPS didn't quite like it.

In my experience, there's no such thing as Year of Linux...

ticojohn

#8 Post by ticojohn »

stevepusser wrote:Currently all 64-bit amd64-type processors also support 32-bit.
So, I am looking at buying a Gigabyte GA-H81M-H motherboard and installing an Intel i5-4460 processor. If I read correctly what you said then I should be able to boot my current Jessie (8.7) with kernel 3.16.0-4-pae-686 (on an SSD). As this is a Haswell, and not Skylake, processor then I should not have to install any firmware or graphics drivers. Am I correct in that assumption?

As a backup plan, I have Jessie amd64 installed on a HDD drive. It is, however still kernel 3.16. And I have not yet installed all of the things I need (such as NUT and print drivers). Also, the HDD drive is REALLY slow compared to my SSD. So it would be really nice if I could just boot the SSD.

Eventually I intend to get everything upgraded to amd64.

Thanks for the feedback.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

I'm pretty sure it will just work. My old laptop, which used an AMD A4 CPU, fried its motherboard, but I was able to salvage its spinning hard drive and put it in the empty second hard drive bay in my new Skylake laptop. I booted from a live USB in order to remove the AMD fglrx-specific configuration file in etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, and then the new laptop just booted and ran from the old installation without any problems. However, I already was using a recent kernel and backported drivers in the old laptop before it died, so the system was "Skylake-ready". Your use of an older CPU means that your graphics probably won't have issues with the stock Jessie kernel. I was running 64-bit vs. your 32-bit, but that shouldn't make any difference.

I then did a new root system install onto the SSD that came with the laptop, and reused my old home folder on the spinning drive.
MX Linux packager and developer

ticojohn

#10 Post by ticojohn »

stevepusser wrote:I'm pretty sure it will just work.
Ok. Thanks for that feedback. Going to give it a whirl.

UPDATE: Just checked on pricing and availability of the parts, ship to or buy here in Costa Rica, and it is a bit pricey (like around US $500).
If I were in the US I could get it all for about $350. But what the heck. It's only money and I can't take it with me, :lol: