Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Downloads directory with "I" attribute (lsattr)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
swirler

Downloads directory with "I" attribute (lsattr)

#1 Post by swirler »

I was digging around trying to figure out why some application was misbehaving and accidentally found that my Downloads directory in Jessie has this "I" attribute according to the lsattr command

Code: Select all

----------I--e-- /home/debian/Downloads
which, accordingly to the lstattr manpage, means that this directory
is being indexed using hashed trees
by the htree function of the ext4 filesystem - if I got this right.

My question being, is that normal (to have this one directory indexed) on a regular installation of a Debian Jessie desktop system ?

phenest

Re: Downloads directory with "I" attribute (lsattr)

#2 Post by phenest »

I wasn't aware of this indexing. I checked my $HOME directory and found both ./videos and ./downloads directories have this attribute.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

swirler

Re: Downloads directory with "I" attribute (lsattr)

#3 Post by swirler »

I've checked on other systems and I've found other directories indexed like that too, different ones on different systems : I'd imagine the system decides which directories need to be indexed based on their contents?

Also, in this case my Downloads directory is listed like that

Code: Select all

----------I--e-- /home/debian/Downloads
but, actually, it's just one subdirectory containing many zip files that is indexed - not the whole Downloads directory.