Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nvida -Jessie - Backports?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
antechdesigns

Nvida -Jessie - Backports?

#1 Post by antechdesigns »

Just installed Debian 8.7 jessie Mate desktop and installed nvidia drivers

I followed the wiki as per nvidia-detect https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
Debian 8 "Jessie"

Code: Select all

Version 375.26 (via jessie-backports)
Add jessie-backports to your /etc/apt/sources.list, for example:

# jessie-backports
deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main contrib non-free
Install Linux headers for the kernel you are using. If you are using the 3.16 Linux kernel in Debian Jessie:

# apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,')
Then we can install the package nvidia-driver

# apt-get update
# apt-get install -t jessie-backports nvidia-driver
DKMS will build the nvidia module for your system.
Restart your system to enable the nouveau blacklist.

Everything went fine without a hitch even installed compiz-fusion :D

Do I need to remove the jessie-backport before I do any updates?

Also why am I having to install drivers from the backports when I'm running 'stable'

Thanks in advance Ant

dasein

Re: Nvida -Jessie - Backports?

#2 Post by dasein »

antechdesigns wrote:Do I need to remove the jessie-backport before I do any updates?
Strictly speaking, no, but disabling external repos once you're done installing <whatever> is a very good habit to get into.
antechdesigns wrote:Also why am I having to install drivers from the backports when I'm running 'stable'
Because Stable is the only release that requires backports. Consult the Wiki for more information.

antechdesigns

#3 Post by antechdesigns »

Got ya !
Thank you Sir, Much appreciated
:D

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Nvidia-detect recommended the nvidia-driver from backports because it determined that your hardware was too new to be supported by the older driver in Jessie's normal repository.

I'm also curious where you pulled compiz from, since it's not in any official Debian Jessie repository. Though I did add the older 0.8.4 version with some more spectacular effects to my own jessie-multimedia repo, and it seems to work well.
MX Linux packager and developer

antechdesigns

#5 Post by antechdesigns »

stevepusser wrote:Nvidia-detect recommended the nvidia-driver from backports because it determined that your hardware was too new to be supported by the older driver in Jessie's normal repository.

I'm also curious where you pulled compiz from, since it's not in any official Debian Jessie repository. Though I did add the older 0.8.4 version with some more spectacular effects to my own jessie-multimedia repo, and it seems to work well.
Hi Steve, thanks for you reply :wink:

I got it from Compiz Debian 0.8.12.4 : https://compiz-debian.tuxfamily.org/

Works quite well too, also got emerald working and the compiz fusion icon in the task bar :D
I only have a few affects enabled, I mainly install it for the compositing (no screen tear) works good with my Nvidia 9700GTX

Thanks again :wink:

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Thank you, many people have asked about compiz in the past, and you're the only poster to mention that updated repository, though I seem to remember using them way back in the Etch or Lenny era. I'll see if I can use their updated, bugfixed source for my own packaging. :D
MX Linux packager and developer

antechdesigns

#7 Post by antechdesigns »

stevepusser wrote:Thank you, many people have asked about compiz in the past, and you're the only poster to mention that updated repository, though I seem to remember using them way back in the Etch or Lenny era. I'll see if I can use their updated, bugfixed source for my own packaging. :D
For what its worth, in Debian Stretch I did get compiz to work using the compiz 0.9.13.0 that is found in the repos(added contrib & non-free) however the windows decorations would not change no matter what theme I chose in window border, it just stayed on a default theme and looked ugly also tried it with arc-theme & vertex-theme still the same :?