Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Network printer not showing in GTK3 Print dialog

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
wartisoc

[SOLVED] Network printer not showing in GTK3 Print dialog

#1 Post by wartisoc »

I've got a really annoying issue with a network printer on Debian Jessie. From applications that use the GTK2 print dialog I can see the network printer perfectly and print without any issues. But from applications using the GTK3 print dialog I can't see the printer at all!. It is extremely annoying :(.

After realizing that the issue was somehow related to GTK3 I did search for a solution but I've got nothing useful. The closest thing I've found is a reference to gtk3-print-backends but there is no such a package in Debian.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by wartisoc on 2017-03-20 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

shep

Re: Network printer not showing in GTK3 Print dialog

#2 Post by shep »

Could be several things.

Network printers have to "broadcast" their availability and the clients have to "discover" them. This classically was handled by avahi.
Arch Linux Cups Wiki
Debian System Printing
I'm not sure what it is called in the latest systemd iteration.
If you'r using cups and the printer is connected directly to another computer, you need to be sure that you "share" the printer.
If you are using the lpr print spooler, lpr support was removed from gtk3 applications but remain in gtk2.

wartisoc

Re: Network printer not showing in GTK3 Print dialog

#3 Post by wartisoc »

shep wrote:If you are using the lpr print spooler, lpr support was removed from gtk3 applications but remain in gtk2.
So that's probably the reason why I was able to print from GTK2 applications but not from GTK3 ones. I thought it was a GTK3 related issue but after reading your post I kept searching and I found out that the printer, a HP M402n, required at least HPLIP version 3.15.11 while the version in the Debian stable repository is 3.14.6.

I updated the HPLIP related packages from the jessie-backports repository and after selecting the dnssd:// connection and selecting Raw for the Make/Manufacturer as specified in the Debian Wiki, I was able to get the printer working correctly even from GTK3 applications. The parts I highlighted in bold are important since it's otherwise easy to oversee that part; looking for the HP M402n model in the CUPS list of Make/Manufacturer doesn't display any coincidences, you have to select Raw.

Thanks, marking this topic as solved.