Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Good!! Xfce integrates with KDE

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Good!! Xfce integrates with KDE

#1 Post by bester69 »

I was trying today xfce under stretch, and to my surprise It integrates very well with plasma-kde,

- It use dolphin browser as a default
- It detect kde startup shortcuts
- It detect kde user hotkeys
- kmail running pretty well.

So, now, it might be seen as an alternative a lighter KDE DE, running this kind of mix XFce/KDE.

I like it.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

phenest

Re: Good!! Xfce integrates with KDE

#2 Post by phenest »

Or maybe KDE integrates well with XFCE. So, now, it might be seen as an alternative as a heavier XFCE DE.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Ardouos

#3 Post by Ardouos »

There is also razor-qt and LXQT for those who want that lightweight experience with Qt libraries.

Just throwing it out there.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

The fact that one can run KDE apps inside Xfce (and vice versa) is not exactly news.

But "lighter"? Strictly speaking, yeah, but not by all that much. Yes, the baseline "footprint" in terms of RAM/CPU is indeed markedly different between the two DEs. But by the time one loads up Xfce with all the KDE libraries necessary to run Dolphin, KMail, etc., the difference just isn't all that big. If one likes KDE apps, unless one is really short on resources (or gratuitously wasteful of them, like the OP), there's little reason not to just run KDE.

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

I have to agree that xfce in stretch is looking good, but I've been trying to strip it down, not adding more to it.

I took out sofar: avahi, libreoffice, xsane, gvfs

added: mc, pulseaudio, smartmontools, gdisk, mesa-utils

got it to 1.7G of disk space, uses about 350M of ram with a lynyrd skynard album playing.

Still haven't picked a browser yet though, and a lot of other stuff, no screensaver, no aptitude... and synaptic want 200M of updates.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Innovate

#6 Post by Innovate »

How much ram consume at KDE+Xfce start up/idle I wonder? :)