Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

CUPS Server Not Exporting Printers (Canon LBP6310)

Need help with peripherals or devices?
randomhopeful

CUPS Server Not Exporting Printers (Canon LBP6310)

#1 Post by randomhopeful »

For the last couple of days, I was trying to get my printer to work on Debian Jessie 8.7
At first, CUPS was notifying that jobs are completed while it doesn't print. After installing, reinstalling and trying different tips given in answers around in several posts and sites, it started given me the error : Server Not Exporting Printers.

Here's the error log.
The only section containing "issue" is the locale. When installing Debian, I chose Tunisia from the C menu.
/etc/default/locale shows only: Lang="C" and no other information, I believe I must set them manually but I wanted to refer to experienced users before.

I ran the locale -a command and it listed only :

Code: Select all

$ locale -a
C
C.UTF-8
POSIX
In another post, I discovered the locale-gen command (/usr/sbin/locale-gen).
As expected, it generated french locales.

$ /usr/sbin/locale-gen
fr_FR.ISO-8850-1
fr_FR.UTF-8
fr_FR.ISO-8859-15@euro
Which is absolutely fine since my keyboard is Azerty.

Now, when I ran locale -a, I get:

$ locale -a
C
C.UTF-8
POSIX
fr_FR
fr_FR.ISO-8859
fr_FR.ISO-8859-15@euro
fr_FR.utf8
fr_FR@euro
français
french
Yet, /etc/defaul/locale still only shows LANG="C".
I'm pretty sure I'm confusing two different things.

My questions are : Am I correct in guessing that the issue at hand with printing relates to /etc/default lacking additional information ? How can I resolve this issue ?
Thank you.

arzgi

Re: CUPS Server Not Exporting Printers (Canon LBP6310)

#2 Post by arzgi »

That printer needs a driver from canon: http://www.canon-pixmadrivers.com/2015/ ... d-mac.html

And you can always change and generate locales by:

dpkg-reconfigure locales
as root.

randomhopeful

#3 Post by randomhopeful »

Hi arzgi,

I stumbled upon that command and ran it, but it did only generate Lang locales. I had to edit the locale file and manually add for the paper size and everything else.
It still didn't solve the issue. It turns out my printer only accepts 32 bit instructions (even though there was a 64 bit driver). Reinstalling an i386 Debian made it print.

Now, whenever I send a job, it keeps printing it without stopping. Very ironic and I can see the light side of it, still a bit annoying.
I haven't the slightest idea where to start to fix it but I'mma keep looking.

Thank you for your help [ :

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

I try to avoid those proprietary drivers as far as I can. :D

But found these, maybe some help.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Canon_CAPT
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CanonCaptDrv190

pdc_2

#5 Post by pdc_2 »

so randomhopeful: sorry for the delay in posting; as arzgi rightly points out, you need the CAPT driver to get your LBP6310dn going well:

normally you 1) install drivers and 2) register the printer with lpadmin but with CAPT you need additionally, 3) register with ccpd daemon

so the format for 2) is

sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [printer name] -m [PPD file name] -v ccp://localhost:59787 –E
localhost:59787 seems better than localhost:59687

so your might be

sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LBP6310dn -m CNCUPSLBP6310CAPTK.ppd -v ccp://localhost:59787 –E
....... that ppd seems to be the correct one for your LBP ...........

then for 3) the format for usb is

sudo /usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p [Printer Name] -o [Printer Device Path]
and network

sudo /usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p [Printer Name] -o net:[IP address]

you need to start the ccpd daemon after this

sudo /etc/init.d/ccpd start
........... and crucially ......... you need to issue that command when you restart the computer ...... or automate its startup

I hope this may be of help

osdebian

#6 Post by osdebian »

I had problems also installing my Canon Pixma MG7751 printer on my home network with the Canon provided Debian/Ubuntu drivers. The Canon installation procedure did not work. The following steps made it work:
lpinfo -v (to get the dnssd)
and then:
lpadmin -p thenameyouwantforyourprinter -E -v thednssdfoundwithlpinfo
Following these steps, the printer was installed but printing a test page with CUPS did not work: CUPS did not report any error, showed task finished but the printer did not print. So I went back in CUPS, deleted the printer just created and installed it again with CUPS. This time the printer was listed in the CUPS printers list, I selected it, the printer was installed and works fine.

I hope this helps.