Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HP TouchSmart tx2z-1000 issues

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Snake

HP TouchSmart tx2z-1000 issues

#1 Post by Snake »

Hi, I don't know if this is the right forum. If not please move it.

I'm running Debian 8.7 64bit on a HP TouchSmart tx2z-1000. It's running fantastic, even the touch screen works great but I am having two issues.

For the life of me, I absolutely cannot get the auto-rotation to work when I place the laptop in tablet mode nor can I get multi-touch working. This laptop does have multi-touch and auto-rotation doesn't it? From what I've read online it does, and if I'm not mistaking, when Vista was still on here, multi-touch and auto-rotation worked. Can't fully remember though.

I've tried Magick Rotation for the auto-rotate but I can not get it working for some reason. I can install it no problem, I just can't get it running. Does anyone know how to get auto-rotation working on this? There is a physical button on the right side of the screen to manually rotate the screen, that button doesn't work either.

As for the multi-touch, only thing I've tried was installing the multi-touch xorg driver but that didn't work. Anyone know how to get multi-touch working?

Does Debian support auto-rotation and multi-touch in it's current state? I watched a youtube video of a different model of this exact laptop that was running Ubuntu and auto-rotation and multi-touch worked no problem. I looked at the link provided in the videos description and from what I can tell, it looks like the software he used is Ubuntu only. Not completely sure though.

I've already Googled these issues but didn't find much. I would appreciate any help with this. I'm typing this out on the laptop so I'll be at it if anyone wants me to try anything.

Thanks.

Snake

Re: HP TouchSmart tx2z-1000 issues

#2 Post by Snake »

Does anyone know how to get these working? Is it supported in the current stable release? If not then that's fine. The wiki doesn't say much unless I messed something.
I would appreciate any help with this.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Snake wrote:Does anyone know how to get these working?
No, sorry.
Is it supported in the current stable release?
From your experience, it seems not.

Have you tried a newer kernel version from the jessie-backports repository?

https://backports.debian.org/

The next version of Debian is currently in a pre-release state, you could try that:

https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
deadbang

Snake

#4 Post by Snake »

Thanks. That's all I wanted to know. I'm not using a unstable release. Unless I want to help bug hunt. I'm too picky about my crap.

The way you worded some stuff, you came off as somewhat of a smartass.

A mod can just lock this thread now. Can't believe this, its 2017 and laptops like that has been around since what? 2005 or some crap? Probably before then.

I love Debian and Linux but I've been thinking about moving back to Windows. I've been keeping myself from doing it though, I just don't want to go back.

Sorry for sounding rude, I'm just waking up.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Snake wrote:The way you worded some stuff, you came off as somewhat of a smartass.
It's not a bug, it's a feature.

:mrgreen:
deadbang

Snake

#6 Post by Snake »

Lol

Look, sorry about earlier. I get in a bad mood sometimes when I first wake up. Don't pay any attention to me when I do that. I gotta learn to stay offline when I get like that.

Anyway, I've been looking online and found the source to a library called iio-sensor-proxy and I've read its for screen rotation so I'm thinking about compiling it and trying it out. Maybe it'll help or maybe not. If all else fails I can just make keyboard shortcuts to rotate the screen when I put it in tablet mode.

Snake

#7 Post by Snake »

wizard10000 wrote:lio-sensor-proxy is in both Stretch and Sid (same version in both). If you can meet dependencies I'd grab it from there.
Thanks, I'll look into that.
wizard10000 wrote:Sad to say but Linux isn't even close to Windows when it comes to tablets.
Yeah, you are right, but I can deal with it until Debian catches up. Ain't no big deal. It would be nice though.

UPDATE: I put another HDD in my laptop yesterday and installed Windows 10 and ran Windows Update to install all the drivers it needed, which I verified by looking at Device Manager. It didn't have auto-rotate which is odd because Vista did. I'm guessing Vista had something on it installed from the factory to cause it to auto-rotate. Even the physical hardware button to manually rotate the screen thats on the right side of the screen didn't work under Windows 10 like it did in Vista which makes me think there was extra stuff installed from the factory. But multi-touch did work under Windows 10.

As for that little physical button next to the screen to manually rotate it, is there a way to tell if Debian is registering that button when I press it? If so I might be able to figure something out with that instead if using keyboard shortcuts.

EDIT: In case anyone wants to see what laptop it is, here it is. If you click on the picture of it to enlarge it, you can see those hardware buttons on the right side of the screen. the bottom one it to manually rotate it.

Snake

#8 Post by Snake »

I installed iio-sensor-proxy from Sid but it didn't work. Either because my Gnome version is too old, which it is (it requires a newer version), or I was mistaken about the auto-rotate. I have no clue. Right now I'm looking into the hardware button for rotation. Would hp-wmi control that button?

Snake

#9 Post by Snake »

wizard10000 wrote:
Snake wrote:...Would hp-wmi control that button?
No idea. xev (X11) or showkey (console) would be the thing to read keyboard codes. They may or may not show up in either of these two applications; if the key scancodes show up you can map the keys - if not it may take an OEM-specific driver to make the key work.

Good luck -
I tired showkey but I couldn't get it to work. Kept throwing out a "Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console" error so I tried xev. Xev worked but it wouldn't register the top button or the bottom rotate button, it would only register the middle button. That's the only bezel button it would register. But every time I pressed the middle button, Rhythmbox opened so it seems like Debian is seeing those three buttons on the bezel but only registering the middle one.

I did some Googling last night and read that the hp-wmi module (I think) it configured to not read those other two buttons for some reason. It said I would have to download the sources and edit the source code for hp-wmi and compile the module and install it. I'm thinking about doing that later. Would the source for hp-wmi be included in the kernel source?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was mistaken. I'm supposed to edit a couple hewlett-packard files in /lib/udev/keymaps but /lib/udev/keymaps doesn't exist. Probably because the guide I'm reading is for Ubuntu and Linux Mint that was last updated in 2013. I was mistaken and thought it was hp-wmi that I was supposed to edit but its files in /lib/udev/keymaps. Oh well.

EDIT 2: OK, So I DO need to edit hp-wmi source then compile it. The guide says I need to patch it. BUT it says that patch was accepted into kernel 3.9 but I'm using kernel 3.16??

EDIT 3: I downloaded the kernel source and the hp-wmi patch and looked through hp-wmi.c while looking through the patch to compare and it doesn't need patching. The changes from the patch for the bezel buttons are already included in hp-wmi. So I seriously don't know what to do know. I doubt if those two buttons are broke while the middle button works as all three buttons worked under Vista. This is confusing. :?

From all I read, since hp-wmi is already patched, all three bezel buttons should work. Is it possible that there could be an option in the kernel that's not enabled? I would try configuring the kernel and compiling and installing it but I don't know what (if any) option to enable.

I pressed alt-ctrl-f1 to go into cli mode and ran showkey -k and showkey -s and pressed all three bezel buttons. The only one registered was the middle bezel button, the one that opens rhythmbox. The other two didn't do squat.

Snake

#10 Post by Snake »

wizard10000 wrote:
Snake wrote:...I pressed alt-ctrl-f1 to go into cli mode and ran showkey -k and showkey -s and pressed all three bezel buttons. The only one registered was the middle bezel button, the one that opens rhythmbox. The other two didn't do squat.
You know it's possible those buttons only work under Windows, right? :)
Yea I know its possible. But other people got it working from what I've read.

I might try installing Windows Vista on it later and install the drivers from the HP site and see what happens.

This is the guide I've been following. It's the exact same guide thats on the Ubuntu site. The part about getting the bezel buttons working are on the second post.

Y'now, I didn't think of it but if all else fails, I can use that bezel button that opens Rhythmbox for the rotation assuming I can figure out how to change its keybinding and assign a xrandr command to it.