Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Screen tearing in installer

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
hellvetica

Re: Screen tearing in installer

#21 Post by hellvetica »

Woah.
So, i tried running a live session like debiman suggested but the pc couldn't detect my bootable usb so i put my bios boot mode in to legacy mode, ran it and the installer menu looks fine. I have no "tearing" now.

I have a hunch that i'll quickly run into plenty more issues so i'll be reporting back.
Last edited by hellvetica on 2017-03-21 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

hellvetica

#22 Post by hellvetica »

debiman wrote:you haven't even answered yet what graphics hardware you really have in there.
Ok, my laptop is a
HP ProBook 450 G1 model#: FOY18EA

stevepusser

#23 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, the wi-fi is probably going to be an issue...do you have a wired connection to fall back on until it gets running?
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#24 Post by debiman »

hellvetica wrote:
debiman wrote:you haven't even answered yet what graphics hardware you really have in there.
Ok, my laptop is a
HP ProBook 450 G1 model#: FOY18EA
what do you expect me to do with this information?

Siernan

#25 Post by Siernan »

I am also experiencing this on an HP laptop with Debian and derivatives. I also explored mucking about with kernel boot parameters in GRUB.

It is an HP 840 G1 EliteBook - System SKU: F1R92AW#ABA

That said, those above were inquiring about specific hardware, so below is a summary of things I figured were of note (acquired on the Windows side, from msinfo32.exe, Windows 10 Enterprise 1703):

General System Info:
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP EliteBook 840 G1
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU F1R92AW#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300U CPU @ 1.90GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard L71 Ver. 01.39, 9/26/2016
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 21.89
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Network Devices Info:
Product Type Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-LM
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_155A&SUBSYS_198F103C&REV_04\3&B1BFB68&0&C8

Product Type Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B1&SUBSYS_40608086&REV_73\D8FC93FFFFCACC2C00

Display (probably the truly important info):
Name Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&SUBSYS_198F103C&REV_0B\3&B1BFB68&0&10
Adapter Type Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, Intel Corporation compatible
Adapter Description Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1366 x 768 x 59 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32

Audio Device (built in speakers):
Name High Definition Audio Device
Manufacturer Microsoft
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E0&SUBSYS_103C211E&REV_1003\4&35E8259D&0&0001

I have tried base Debian, and the derivatives Kali and Parrot, all experience the same issue. That said, the live boot options for both Kali and Parrot work (didn't try it with Debian), though, when they start, they initially experience the same issue, until about 4s into the boot process when they clear up the screen and continue logging boot things until they load the login prompt/desktop. Interestingly enough (to me), I was able to get Kali installed by slapping the laptop onto its dock and plugging in a VGA monitor to the dock (didn't try DisplayPort). For that install the laptop was shut down (and in Windows the hibernation/fast boot is off, so it is truly shut down and not in a hybrid state), then lid closed, put on the dock, and used the dock power button to boot. The lid remained closed throughout (forced it to use the external display). The output to the VGA monitor was completely unscrambled and perfectly normal. I'm going to try Parrot with an external (VGA) display plugged directly into the laptop, though for that I may have to change the video options in the BIOS if I can.

I am new-ish to Linux (though attempting to learn), and pretty competent in Windows. I am extremely curious to see where this issue leads and if a fix can be found. If there is any more information that I can provide that would assist or that I should look at myself, please let me know. I'm pretty comfortable digging most things out of Windows via PowerShell/cmd or GUI methods, and if instructed on the Linux end can dig stuff out of Kali to assist as well if that is more familiar/helpful output to others attempting to assist.

Thanks in advance for everyone's time!

Regards,
Siernan
Regards,
Siernan

debiman

#26 Post by debiman »

Siernan, please start a new thread for a separate problem.
It looks like you provided lots of good info; I will read it when you present it as your own problem, not "the exact same problem", because that's impossible.

Siernan

#27 Post by Siernan »

debiman,

I am perfectly content to do so, however, from the evidence I have seen, it *is* the same problem (or at least the same symptom). I also experienced this on a different HP laptop model, a ProBook 650 G1. I have not checked the hardware on that one yet to see if it's the same model/generation of integrated Intel graphics on the board however, but will probably have some free time today. So far the theme is that perhaps it is a specific hardware component with a series/generation of HP laptops (the ProBook and EliteBook product lines are targeted more at business deployment than consumer btw). I also have a generation 2 (G2) ProBook 650 I could play with at work to see if it too experiences the same issue.

Though, if a new thread is preferred I am happy to start one and gather as much information as I can. I will probably do so later in the afternoon (TZ is Eastern US) or early evening.

Thanks for the next steps.

Regards,
Siernan
Regards,
Siernan

debiman

#28 Post by debiman »

siernan, if your problem was the same, then this would help:
hellvetica wrote:So, i tried running a live session like debiman suggested but the pc couldn't detect my bootable usb so i put my bios boot mode in to legacy mode, ran it and the installer menu looks fine. I have no "tearing" now.

...in any case, let's continue this discussion in your other thread now.