Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Hackintosh

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Segfault

Hackintosh

#1 Post by Segfault »

Anybody here has any experience with hackintoshing? I wonder if there are any difficulties getting dual boot UEFI working on PC platform ... rEFInd perhaps?

GarryRicketson

Re: Hackintosh

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

I have never had any experience, but a search found this:
from:https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-hackintosh-832719Replace The BIOS

The biggest obstacle to most generic computers from running Mac OS X on their hardware has to do with UEFI. This is a new system that was developed to replace the original BIOS systems that allowed computers to boot up. Apple has been using specific extensions to the UEFI that is not found in most PC hardware. Over the past couple of years, this has become less of an issue as most systems adopt the new boot mechanisms for the hardware. A good source for lists of known compatible computers and hardware components can be found on the OSx86 Project site.

Note that the lists are based upon the various versions of OS X because each version has a differing level of support for hardware, especially with older computer hardware not being able to run on the newer versions of OS X.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-03-23 17:55, edited 2 times in total.

Segfault

#3 Post by Segfault »

Yep. That's the trouble. I'm completely new to this and most (all) tutorials I have found talk about things I'm not aware of. Steep learning curve. That would be OK if I had the hardware to experiment with, bu I do not. I have a Q6600 CPU and RAM, but no motherboard. I tried to figure out what mobo I need to obtain to be compatible ... and got lost. It seems there is some clever loader that circumvents the Apple h/w check ... or maybe I misunderstood. I need to update my Garmin GPS and I do not do Windows.

pcalvert

#4 Post by pcalvert »

Segfault wrote:I need to update my Garmin GPS and I do not do Windows.
If that's the reason for your interest, setting up a "Hackintosh" seems like a ridiculous waste of time and money. A better solution would be to use Virtualbox and create a "disposable" Windows VM. What versions of Windows is the GPS software compatible with?

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

pawRoot

#5 Post by pawRoot »

There isn't problem with dual booting at all, Clover does automatically detect all installed systems like Linux or Windows.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/unib ... st_install

Segfault

#6 Post by Segfault »

Yeah. I was an IT manager and sysadmin for 7+ years and I quit because I couldn't stand Windows any more. It makes me puke. It is everything an OS shouldn't be. Even in a WM.

pawRoot

#7 Post by pawRoot »

Segfault wrote:Yeah. I was an IT manager and sysadmin for 7+ years and I quit because I couldn't stand Windows any more. It makes me puke. It is everything an OS shouldn't be. Even in a WM.
May i ask what's so bad about Windows? except their stupid policy like automatic updates, and ugly GUI
I don't like Windows myself aswell but i can't understand people bashing it like it's biggest cancer in the world.

I hear people talking about blue screens etc, but last time i had blue screen was like 10 years ago? or more, i literally didn't have to restart my PC in last 10 years due to it freezing or anything.

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

@Segfault

I am assuming you have a version of OS X, that you can use to install ?
Using a VM might be a viable solution, and you do not have to use
windows,
@Segfault>>I need to update my Garmin GPS and I do not do Windows.
I understand your feelings ,I don't use it either , ever for anything, and it is not necessary.

Anyway, I was just looking and Virtual Box does support Mac/OSx
and you could setup a VM, all you need is a installation media for OS x, like a Iso, or CD/DVD,....
I couldn't find anything specific for Debian, but that shouldn't matter, Virtual Box works just fine, on Debian,..(at least on the "old stable versions, I am not sure on the newer ones)
http://askubuntu.com/questions/303725/v ... buntu-host

I will warn you that I do not condone this, so please don't try it. However, for educational purposes, it is possible to install OSX in VirtualBox... you need a Hackintosh install disc to do this though. For information on this, have a look here:Lifehacker "How to Run Mac OS X Inside Windows Using VirtualBox".
Ignore the fact that they are using VirtualBox in Windows, because the same process will work in Ubuntu too.
This might be better:
https://github.com/geerlingguy/macos-virtualbox-vm

@Segfault>It is everything an OS shouldn't be. Even in a WM.
Did you mean "VM" ?

There is no reason anybody has to use Windows, anything that
can be done using windows, and more, can be done easier and better with a *nix system.
But that would be another topic.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-03-24 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Segfault

#9 Post by Segfault »

pawRoot wrote:May i ask what's so bad about Windows? except their stupid policy like automatic updates, and ugly GUI
I don't like Windows myself aswell but i can't understand people bashing it like it's biggest cancer in the world.
Please, not this can of worms. Do you know how much damage, how many billions of dollars worth, are Windows machines doing? Yes, it is the biggest cancer in the world. One might argue if there was no Windows then all the Linux/Unix machines would be under attack and owned as Windows boxes are right now. Well, the current reality Windows zombies are inflicting the damage and *nix boxes are not. (Yes there are occasional break-ins into Linux machines, but this is not a rule as it is with Windows.)
I'd conclude this with Linus Torvalds words. MS is not evil, they just make real crappy operating systems.
I refuse to discuss this further.

pawRoot

#10 Post by pawRoot »

To install Mac OS in Virtualbox you will need to patch it

https://techsviewer.com/install-macos-s ... x-windows/

It won't work out of the box, due to licensing problems.

Segfault

#11 Post by Segfault »

Thanks everybody, will get on this. :)

Segfault

#12 Post by Segfault »

Special thanks go to pawRoot!

It was easy and it works. :)

Edit: Proof.

pawRoot

#13 Post by pawRoot »

No problem, though it sucks there is no graphics acceleration :P

Segfault

#14 Post by Segfault »

Still better than dual boot or building a dedicated box, for my purpose.

Gee, I just realized I can start using my Harmony remote, too! There is concordance software for Linux, but I couldn't get it working and my Harmony has been serving as a paperweight ...

pawRoot

#15 Post by pawRoot »

Is it your first time with Mac OS?

How do you like it?

Segfault

#16 Post by Segfault »

I had an iMac, I used it when something completely refused to support Linux. It was given to me as broken, I managed to fix it. It was submerged during last year "Historic Louisiana Flood".

Innovate

#17 Post by Innovate »

I've difficulty to get their iso their site always ask for cookies, unblock ad blockers
and when download there're still more walls to get it. In the end still can't download it another wall appear.
idk why do have to make such hard to get those iso to download?

pawRoot

#18 Post by pawRoot »

There is direct link to Google Drive so i dont know what are you talking about :D

Innovate

#19 Post by Innovate »

pawRoot wrote:There is direct link to Google Drive so i dont know what are you talking about :D
I was talking about this one.
http://iatkos.me/

pawRoot

#20 Post by pawRoot »

Don't install iAtkos, it's like Ubuntu of Hackintoshes :D