Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[UnSolved] stretch randomly hangs on resuming

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
bester69

[UnSolved] stretch randomly hangs on resuming

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,

I need some help, My system debian Strecth is randomly freezing from some weeks ago or so, on resuming from sleep.

Im using pm-suspend to suspend system, The system seems to resume, you can see the screen rendered, but you can't do anything.

I need to know what file log, and what line to search for, in order to traze this issue.
------------
- Stretch
- KDE 5
- Everything updated

thanks in advance.
Last edited by bester69 on 2017-04-04 19:28, edited 5 times in total.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

dasein

Re: stretch randomly hangs on resuming

#2 Post by dasein »

You "forgot" to mention one important detail...

ultra160

#3 Post by ultra160 »

I had experienced similiar problem, using gnome3 on stretch. For recent days, when my macbook pro suspended, it couldn't wake up, or , would freeze for a while. Sometimes it came back to be operational, some apps couldn't be launched, even reboot is a mission impossible.

After tried many time install and remove apps, especially power managment apps like acpid and tlp, I finally find there is nothing with these.

The problem is related to the kernel version. I used to use kernel version 4.9.0-1, then upgrade to 4.9.0-2 using apt-get upgrade. Then the problem starts. I found there some error message on the screen indicated that there is a kerne bug, and following by many lines hex codes.

So I tried to fall back from 4.9.0-2 to 4.9.0-1. Everything works well again.

Your might need to re-install your drivers if your fall back to old version kernel.

bester69

#4 Post by bester69 »

ultra160 wrote:I had experienced similiar problem, using gnome3 on stretch. For recent days, when my macbook pro suspended, it couldn't wake up, or , would freeze for a while. Sometimes it came back to be operational, some apps couldn't be launched, even reboot is a mission impossible.

After tried many time install and remove apps, especially power managment apps like acpid and tlp, I finally find there is nothing with these.

The problem is related to the kernel version. I used to use kernel version 4.9.0-1, then upgrade to 4.9.0-2 using apt-get upgrade. Then the problem starts. I found there some error message on the screen indicated that there is a kerne bug, and following by many lines hex codes.

So I tried to fall back from 4.9.0-2 to 4.9.0-1. Everything works well again.

Your might need to re-install your drivers if your fall back to old version kernel.
Im not sure, but i think these problems begin to start when i installed to tested some new kernel (4.10 or 4.11 or 4.9), now i removed all kernells and reinstalled my tested kernel Ubuntu-amd64 4.4.39, I will report if its fixed by itself.

I dont think i need to reinstall anything else as "debsums" reports everithing correct, but what i still dont know is if "debsums" is enought to garantee system integrity installation..

It might also be some xorg upgrate ive seen recentlly, im now blacklisting yenta_socket in my pc it gave issues in past, I will report if success-
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

I've noticed plenty of threads about issues after suspend, or after hibernate. Usually I don't know how to reply to this:
I need to know what file log, and what line to search for, in order to traze this issue.
BUT, you said you are using the pm-utils, which I never had a problem with, and I do recall that logs are kept in /var/log for this method of suspend. You can probably find them with $ ls /var/log/pm-*
I don't think this method is default for most debian systems now? So if using systemd, the answer will be totally different.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

bester69

#6 Post by bester69 »

bw123 wrote:I've noticed plenty of threads about issues after suspend, or after hibernate. Usually I don't know how to reply to this:
BUT, you said you are using the pm-utils, which I never had a problem with, and I do recall that logs are kept in /var/log for this method of suspend. You can probably find them with $ ls /var/log/pm-*
I don't think this method is default for most debian systems now? So if using systemd, the answer will be totally different.
Thanks for your answer,
At the momente blacklisting yenta_socket seems to works in my Extensa 5230, i will mark the post as solved in a few days if not happend anymore. Im using pm-suspend method cos, Im using a user hotkey to suspend and there was some times systemctl didnt get to suspend.

I cant see anything weird in logs (/var/log/pm-suspend..), indeed i dont know what look for...

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

dasein wrote:You "forgot" to mention one important detail...
http://s18.postimg.org/b5yc2q95h/Franken_Debian.jpg
for the sake of this thread, from where do you get the impression that op hosed their system?
(i do realize that they edited their op after you posted this.)

pylkko

#8 Post by pylkko »

debiman wrote:
for the sake of this thread, from where do you get the impression that op hosed their system?
Maybe because op has gathered quite the reputation of mixing Debian with random other packages from the internet, quite often posting about his mixed systems. Even in this thread he says he using Ubuntu kernel and 4.11 and 4.10, none of which are Debian.

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

pylkko wrote:Even in this thread he says he using Ubuntu kernel and 4.11 and 4.10, none of which are Debian.
indeed, here it is:
bester69 wrote:Im not sure, but i think these problems begin to start when i installed to tested some new kernel (4.10 or 4.11 or 4.9), now i removed all kernells and reinstalled my tested kernel Ubuntu-amd64 4.4.39, I will report if its fixed by itself.
qed.
we'll see if it "fixes itself".
:mrgreen:

ruffwoof

#10 Post by ruffwoof »

Fresh install of Jessie, upgraded to Stretch (LXDE) and suspend/resume works fine for me.

Only (minor) bug I've found so far is that KeepNote when added as a panel item, doesn't show the spinner when launched (to show that its loading). Just stays with the normal mouse pointer ... making you wonder whether it had been correctly clicked or not.

I have had some obscure issues with adding items to the panel under LXDE, but they were evident in Jessie as well (sometimes gets a bit screwed up, but nothing in particular that I can identify as to why that occurs (not easily reproducible)).

... Found another bug. Right click a image file and open with mtpaint (assuming of course that's been installed) ... and a Cannot Open File error occurs. Had to edit the /usr/share/applications/mtpaint.desktop file to change the Exec line from using mtpaint %U to instead use mtpaint %f

bester69

#11 Post by bester69 »

pylkko wrote:
debiman wrote:
Maybe because op has gathered quite the reputation of mixing Debian with random other packages from the internet, quite often posting about his mixed systems. Even in this thread he says he using Ubuntu kernel and 4.11 and 4.10, none of which are Debian.
So, What's so wrong with this, I'd like to know/learn it, cos Ive been doing this for a year or two, and I dont see anything weird or working bad, debian works great with all of ubuntu's kernels (i've tried more than 20 kernels versions), indeed, ubuntu's kernels works like a charm with debian.

Im not an expert at all,
Speculating talking, the system use a HAL(Hardware Abstraction Layer) to speak with kernel so it has all the sense, debian works with ubuntu's kernel as this last one is based on debian's.

bester69

#12 Post by bester69 »

I found some references that seems to talk about this issue:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/50198/
https://lkml.org/lkml/2005/7/22/181

Fixed for Acer Extensa 5230.
blacklist yenta_socket

chonas@hall:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Code: Select all

#blacklist pcspkr
blacklist yenta_socket
blacklist snd-pcsp
blacklist uvcvideo

debiman

#13 Post by debiman »

bester69 wrote:So, What's so wrong with this
oh, there's nothing wrong with it, as long as you do it for yourself.
but you should post in off topic / other distros because this has nothing to do with debian system configuration.

and, quite frankly, you shouldn't expect help with these sort of problems.

ultra160

Re: [Solved] stretch randomly hangs on resuming

#14 Post by ultra160 »

Another aspect might be related to this problem is wayland.

I tried to login with gnome and gnome on wayland, obviously it is much higher possibility to have suspend issue when I using gnome on wayland. I think this is why Debian 9 still using X11 as default instead of wayland.

bester69

Re: [Solved] stretch randomly hangs on resuming

#15 Post by bester69 »

ultra160 wrote:Another aspect might be related to this problem is wayland.

I tried to login with gnome and gnome on wayland, obviously it is much higher possibility to have suspend issue when I using gnome on wayland. I think this is why Debian 9 still using X11 as default instead of wayland.
My solution didnt fixed it; I dont know where to look for, I'd need to know how can i trace that freeze (what file log?)

dasein

#16 Post by dasein »

bester69 wrote:I dont see anything weird or working bad...
You mean besides mysterious, "random" hangs?

(Some. Peoples. Kids.)