Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Boot jessie installation iso with grub2

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Thisesiost

Boot jessie installation iso with grub2

#1 Post by Thisesiost »

I have a problem installing Debian Jessie on my laptop with WiFi adapter.

I'm trying to run Debian installation from USB flash drive (don't have CD-ROM), using grub2 boot from ISO feature.

I have these entries in my grub.cfg:

Code: Select all

# rsync --progress --checksum {rsync://mirrors.advancedhosters.com,.}/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso
set amd64_debian_testing_mini=/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso
set amd64_debian_stable_mini=/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso
set amd64_debian_stable_netinst=/debian/debian-8.7.1-amd64-netinst.iso
menuentry $amd64_debian_stable_netinst {
  loopback loop /boot/iso/$amd64_debian_stable_netinst
  linux    (loop)/install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 --- quiet 
  initrd   (loop)/install.amd/initrd.gz
}

menuentry $amd64_debian_stable_mini {
  loopback loop /boot/iso/$amd64_debian_stable_mini
  linux    (loop)/linux priority=low vga=788 -- noprompt
  initrd   (loop)/initrd.gz
}

menuentry $amd64_debian_testing_mini {
  loopback loop /boot/iso/$amd64_debian_testing_mini
  linux    (loop)/linux priority=low vga=788 -- noprompt
  initrd   (loop)/initrd.gz
}
Option #1 (Stable debian-8.7.1-amd64-netinst.iso) won't work at all, claiming that no valid CD could be detected (which is obvious, as no CD-drive present).

Option #2 (Stable mini.iso) won't allow to use wireless adapter, i.e. it detects the built-in network adapter (which requires some dongle attached in order to use this adapter, which I don't have) and behaves like a built-in WiFi adapter doesn't exist at all.

Option #3 (Testing mini.iso) runs very well until the disk detection step, which fails with error about kernel module mismatch. This is very strange, as this always worked as a charm to me. The recent release must have broken something.

Using boot by `grub2` iso feature is very important to me as there is a bunch of other ISO's on that flash drive and I cannot dedicate the whole drive just to Debian only. What options do I have here?

TonyT

Re: Boot jessie installation iso with grub2

#2 Post by TonyT »

Is grub2 installed on the internal drive? Why not just make a custom bootable flash drive with a menu of choices?

Thisesiost

#3 Post by Thisesiost »

TonyT wrote:Is grub2 installed on the internal drive? Why not just make a custom bootable flash drive with a menu of choices?
It is custom bootable flash drive. I'm using grub2 as a loader, as it is the the only known to me loader which can boot from ISO images.

peer

#4 Post by peer »

put Stable debian-8.7.1-amd64-netinst.iso to usb with the dd-command in the terminal:

sudo dd if=Stable debian-8.7.1-amd64-netinst.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M

- this command should be run from the directory where the iso-file is (otherwise you should addd the path to the iso)
- /dev/sdX points to your usb-drive. Replace sdX with your usb (f.e /dev/sde)

Then you can install debian from your usb.

TonyT

#5 Post by TonyT »

Thisesiost wrote:
TonyT wrote:Is grub2 installed on the internal drive? Why not just make a custom bootable flash drive with a menu of choices?
It is custom bootable flash drive. I'm using grub2 as a loader, as it is the the only known to me loader which can boot from ISO images.
Lots of other methods to boot multiple distros on a usb stick:
https://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0 ... ux+distros&*