Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can netinstall preserve data in existing partition?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
littlebigman

Can netinstall preserve data in existing partition?

#1 Post by littlebigman »

Hello

The drive currently has a single EXT4 partition with data on it I'd like to keep.

Is there a way to have the netinstall installer just use this partition and install Debian there without touching the data?

The partitioning step doesn't make this obvious, so I'd rather double-check before going ahead.

Thank you.

littlebigman

Re: Can netinstall preserve data in existing partition?

#2 Post by littlebigman »

Reading the thread currently above "Possible to re-install Debian 8.7 without destroying data?", I won't take the risk, and just copy the data in another computer, and have Debian use the whole disk and create multiple partitions (/, /home, /tmp, and swap).

littlebigman

#3 Post by littlebigman »

For others' benefit: When choosing the manual method, you can choose to install Debian in an existing partition, and tell the installer not to format it. It worked like a charm (although it's still a good idea to back up data onto another drive, just in case.)
Last edited by littlebigman on 2017-03-27 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

horgh

#4 Post by horgh »

I think whether it works depends on what is on there. I tried this recently over top a partition that had an existing (but heavily broken) Debian installation. The installer couldn't complete.

Possibly nuking directories other than /home would have worked, but I ended up formatting anyway.

littlebigman

#5 Post by littlebigman »

Thanks for the tip.