Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unable to adjust mouse's polling rate

Need help with peripherals or devices?
dissent

Unable to adjust mouse's polling rate

#1 Post by dissent »

Hi, I've been able to adjust my mouse's polling rate in the past on Ubuntu 14.04 by adjusting the usbhid module's "mousepoll" option to a value of 2 (2 for 2 ms or 500 hz). The default is 125 hz for all OSes. It's currently stuck at that right now. I have been able to make the same adjustment successfully on Debian unstable but the mouse hz is still stuck at 125 hz! I am using USB 2.0, Debian unstable 4.9.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.13-1 (2017-02-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux.

So far I've been following the guide here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/mouse_polling_rate

Here is a log of my efforts https://paste.debian.net/924376/

As you can see I am making an edit to the file, doing a mod probe, and checking to see if the parameter is changed. The parameter is 2 which is what I want, but when I run the application to test the polling rate, I am still stuck at 125 hz. Also, I have unplugged my mouse and plugged it back in, and it still does not work. Can anyone provide me some help? Thank you.

P.S. Please do not pester me about WHY I'm doing this. The answer is that I play first person shooters, and at a competitive level, 125hz is not viable. 500hz or 1000hz is viable. I only need 500hz, though.

Cefiar

Re: Unable to adjust mouse's polling rate

#2 Post by Cefiar »

Just to add to this:

I chatted to dissent on irc and thought "Oh I should probably do that, since I did that on my previous desktop install" (which was Ubuntu) and had similar issues to what has been described here.

I could not get my mouse (a Coolermaster Devastator II) to do anything other than 125Hz, no matter what value I used for mousepoll.

For what it's worth, I tried:
  • Setting via /etc/modprobe.d/usbhid.conf ( eg: `options usbhid mousepoll=1` )
  • Setting on kernel cmdline ( eg: added `usbhid.mousepoll=1` and ran update-grub)
  • Setting directly in sysfs using echo ( eg: `echo 1 > /sys/module/usbhid/parameters/mousepoll` )
Checking using sysfs showed that mousepoll was set to the value I'd chosen ( `cat /sys/module/usbhid/parameters/mousepoll` ), as it results from systool ( `systool -m usbhid -A mousepoll` ).

In each case, I tried unloading and reloading usbhid, unplug/plug all usbhid devices, and in the case of modifying the kernel cmdline, rebooted.

I then decided to try with a different mouse, and pulled my old Logitech G9x out of a box and plugged it in. That immediately polled at 500 Hz (not the 1000Hz I'd set, but definitely faster than 125Hz).This is definitely capable of 1000Hz and has been used that way under other Linux distros, though none of these were using the 4.9.x kernel.

Note: Unlike dissent I am running jessie with jessie-backports for kernel (4.9.0-0.bpo.2-amd64) and xorg/mesa/etc for my machine (Intel Kaby Lake i7-7700 3.6 Ghz in an Asus Prime Z270-P board) so I can get some sort of accelerated OpenGL going. I've also got the USB mouse & k/b plugged into USB 3.0 ports (xhci_pci & xhci_hcd).

dissent

#3 Post by dissent »

I also tried booting into kernel 3.16 and setting the parameter with the same result.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Perhaps evhz is reporting the value incorrectly, what is the output of:

Code: Select all

lsusb -vd $(lsusb|awk '/Mouse/{print $6}') 2>/dev/null|grep bInterval
deadbang

Cefiar

#5 Post by Cefiar »

Least in my case, the bInterval was accurately reflecting what was being reported by evhz, which was 10.

Turns out that with my Logitech G9x, it has specific profiles built into the mouse, and it seems only one of these supports 1000Hz by default.

Still, it doesn't seem to work with the other mice I have (I went thru several), and they all get stuck at the 125Hz value (`bInterval 10` from lsusb).

Note: That command you posted only works with mice that contain the word "Mouse" in the vendor name, which isn't the case with my Logitech and many other mice.

dissent

#6 Post by dissent »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Perhaps evhz is reporting the value incorrectly, what is the output of:

Code: Select all

lsusb -vd $(lsusb|awk '/Mouse/{print $6}') 2>/dev/null|grep bInterval
Like Cefiar, I am also seeing "10" when I input this command. evhz is reporting accurately.

dissent

#7 Post by dissent »

bump

dissent

#8 Post by dissent »

bump

dissent

#9 Post by dissent »

bump

dissent

#10 Post by dissent »

bump...can someone PLEASE help me with this problem??

dasein

#11 Post by dasein »

Neither repeated bumping nor UPPERCASE can create expertise and insight where none exists.

If games are all that central to your well-being, you say the desired effect is obtainable in Ubuntu. Install Ubuntu = problem solved. No whining necessary.

If your mouse vendor has tech support or a forum, you might be able to identify other potential solutions there, or perhaps even find out that what you seek can't be obtained. This is important because you have never bothered to ID your specific hardware, so all anyone here could ever offer is generic guesswork.

If you've taken steps necessary to eliminate a problem with that specific mouse, or tried a different port, you've also never explicitly mentioned that either. You haven't even said if there is a USB hub in the mix. "My mouse doesn't work the way I want it to" just isn't all that useful for diagnostic purposes.

For that matter, since this is really all about gaming, aren't there gamer forums where you're much more likely to find someone with your issue, or at least similar experiences or pertinent expertise?

tl;dr: Ask yourself what your goal is: is it to sit back and admire the problem? Or is it to (a) deploy a known fix or (b) explore the options that some hardware-specific or use-case-specific research might provide?