Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Poll] What is your favorite Web Browser?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

What is your favorite Web Browser?

Poll ended at 2017-07-18 18:53

Chrome
12%
Chromium
12%
Epiphany
1%
Firefox
53%
Konqueror
No votes
Midori
No votes
Opera
3%
Qupzilla
1%
SeaMonkey
4%
Other - Please comment
14%

Total votes: 101

edbarx

Re: [Poll] What is your favorite Web Browser?

#81 Post by edbarx »

None of them. All of them seem to be on the same route of behaving nicely towards the 'business world', who are convinced they have the sacrosanct right, to brainwash the masses into purchasing what they don't need, and that consumerism makes one belong to a higher social echelon. Fortunately, there are intelligent minds around, who have already provided a way of blocking 'abusive' advertising, that not only advertises a useless product, but more often than not, abuses its audience psychologically.

If the powers that be, want advertising to be acceptable to all, they have to seriously repeal the law, otherwise, freethinkers will resist what they understand is abusing them.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

bester69

#82 Post by bester69 »

for a 1Ghz CPU from 2008 's

Right Now in Strectch linux, i just achive This, without coming into obsolescence gap
sudo dpkg -i opera-stable_42.0.2393.517_amd64.deb (Chrome/55.0.2883.87)
sudo apt-mark hold opera-stable

So, Im using a stuck opera version for regular use, and updating firefox for security operations use.

New chrome/firefox versions cant be installed anymore with just 1GHz CPU without coming into obsolescence gap, so thinking of buying a new one soon...
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

grayson

#83 Post by grayson »

Firefox.
Mainly due to habit. I've been using it for 10+ years.
Occasionally I do switch to Chrome.
These pretzels are making me thirsty

L_V

#84 Post by L_V »

Waterfox should be seriously investigated.
https://www.waterfoxproject.org/

Old question, but still strange to have Firefox available in the repos, ... and not Icecat.
Not sure Firefox is becoming Debian compliant.

debiman

#85 Post by debiman »

seamonkey 2.46.
50% of my crucial firefox addons Just Work, for the rest i could either make them work by ignoring compatibility warnings or find a workaround.

everybody who likes palemoon should use seamonkey instead.

it includes a mail client which is an equally lightweight alternative to thunderbird.

it also includes a web page composer, which can be safely ignored.

L_V

#86 Post by L_V »

I've been using Palemoon for test purpose, but performance compared with video tests made me switch to other solutions (on my system at least / RS780L [Radeon 3000] ).
Even Firefox-esr gives better performance (52.4).
Icecat and Waterfox are based on freshest Mozilla releases.
Icecat is currently 52.3 release, and Waterfox 55.2.

bester69

#87 Post by bester69 »

I went for an older versions of chrome engine (December 9, 2016 Chrome 55.0.2883.87), by using an older Opera version (42.0.2393.517), I'd recommend you to try and use this version (Ive been using it for a whole year and never crashed), it has a good compromise between features and performance, and you can install many chrome extensions as well. It supports free sync opera account.
https://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop/

I will use this version browser for a regular user until i buy a new computer (I guess any recent version browser might last 2 or 3 years without many problems), meanwhile i'll use last Firefox-esr for virtual bank operations and other secure operations.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

debiman

#88 Post by debiman »

we all know that bester69 won't listen to advice, but to everybody else:
please do not use outdated browser versions; you'll be prone to all sorts of attacks, whether you do banking or just watch videos.

bester69

#89 Post by bester69 »

debiman wrote:we all know that bester69 won't listen to advice, but to everybody else:
please do not use outdated browser versions; you'll be prone to all sorts of attacks, whether you do banking or just watch videos.
By analogy, this is how when you locks the second's door floor every time you goes down to buy some bread. hehehe, I've lived in my flat for years and never ever, even when I've left home for several hours, I've locked the door. First, cos nobody knows if the door is closed or not, and secondly because no one is going to go up to the second floor, third door to steal me, without even knowing if there is something worth to steal. In my opinion, Ive more chances to win the lottery than being attacked .... and i've very few to lost, :lol:

Just a litle question, How those attacks occurs?, I really would like to know it.. i really would like to know how a hacker can take control of my
outdated linux browser to give control/access in some way they can hack my user account. I dont see it, can you address me to some report/article of any documented case that has happend before, please?.

How many cases are reported a year in world, in a casual home linux system of this cattegory?, five??, ten?? or perhaps less..

Ive not seen any new process in background, and i've not seen any weird behavior with the browsing, and you know the browser can't be inffected as its a linux system (they need root access), they only might use some security hole as long as the browser were opened and they were committing the attack, so i dont see it, really!!

RU55EL

#90 Post by RU55EL »

debiman wrote:we all know that bester69 won't listen to advice, but to everybody else:
Good Advice! Do not use outdated browser versions!
bester69 wrote:[...] i really would like to know how a hacker can take control of my outdated linux browser to give control/access in some way they can hack my user account. [...]
Knock! Knock! 1990s here. We want our security protocols back!

Rildebai

#91 Post by Rildebai »

It's nice to see Chromium going toe-to-toe with Chrome. :D
Write programs that do one thing and do it well. ~ Doug Mcllroy on the UNIX Philosophy

acewiza

#92 Post by acewiza »

What is your favorite browser?
Whichever current mainstream selection is presently giving me the fewest headaches.

(No, I did not vote. It's like trying to pick between Billary and the Great Orange One.)
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

Bulkley

#93 Post by Bulkley »

acewiza wrote:
What is your favorite browser?
Whichever current mainstream selection is presently giving me the fewest headaches.
It's interesting how they all jockey for position. They take turns at being better. This is a case where brand loyalty is foolish.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#94 Post by None1975 »

alaicarich wrote:But i have a curiosity that is there anyone who loves Internet explorer?
Maybe those who use Microsoft products?
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Wheelerof4te

#95 Post by Wheelerof4te »

alaicarich wrote:is there anyone who loves Internet explorer?
You mean Edge? IE is dead, even for Microsoft.
But nothing wrong with Edge, it uses hardware accel nicely and it's fast. The most pleasant scrolling is on Edge, IMO.

stevepusser

#96 Post by stevepusser »

alaicarich wrote:Chrome and Firefox are most favorite we browser. But i have a curiosity that is there anyone who loves Internet explorer?
Evil hackers, of course.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#97 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Wheelerof4te wrote:nothing wrong with Edge
It's buggy as ****, crashes all the time and can't render for crap but yeah, apart from that it's great :mrgreen:

EDIT: to give a concrete example: my grand-daughter's school homework website fails to load in Win10/Edge but works just fine with Debian/Firefox.
deadbang