Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Synaptic will not upgrade libjbig2dec0

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mr.Lauren

Synaptic will not upgrade libjbig2dec0

#1 Post by mr.Lauren »

I am dumbfounded! For several days I have been getting the notice that I needed to update libjbig2dec0. I was
preparing to post the following:
I have tried approximately 5 times to upgrade libjbig2dec0. This last time it has been going 24 hours! The
only way I can stop it is to reboot or kill synaptic from the System Monitor Process Table. My Operating System is
Debian 8.6.

A couple days ago I decided I would just uninstall libjbig2dec0. It proceeded to remind me that it would also remove a
gigantic list of programs including Gimp, Ocular ----- just a minute --- I'll kill this thing and expand the list.
There are 35 programs to be removed, including cups, evince, gimp, gnome, hplip, kde-standard, okular, 9
printer-drivers, including -gutenprint, -hpcups, and -postscript-hp. Besides that, it's going to install
foomatic-filters! Duuhhhh-----why bother, my operating system would be empty!
When I was about ready with the above, the upgrade notice returned. I noticed that it had a button with a label like
"Analysis" or "Review". I clicked it to get its input, and then saw another button "Apply", which I pressed. Five to
10 seconds later, it was done! I had discovered "Apper"!

I am left with the question "What is wrong with Synaptic?" Does it have a bug, or is it just my copy that has a bug?
Shall I remove it and re-install it? Thanks for any suggestions.

Thorny

Re: Synaptic will not upgrade libjbig2dec0

#2 Post by Thorny »

mr.Lauren wrote: My Operating System is Debian 8.6. .....Thanks for any suggestions.
At this point, your system should probably be at version 8.7, mine is and I have seen other posts that suggest that is current. Maybe you should make sure your system is fully upgraded and then see if Synaptic still seems to have a bug.

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

i don't think synaptic is broken, but to give others (here on the forums) a better overview, it's better to use the command line:

Code: Select all

$ su
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
...and if that doesn't go smoothly, also throw in

Code: Select all

cat /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

MALsPa

#4 Post by MALsPa »

My Synaptic history shows libjbig2dec0 (0.11+20120125-1) upgraded to 0.13-4~deb8u1 on 3/26/17. That's in Debian 8.7. That's the current package, according to Debian Packages (https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all). Hope that helps.