Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

systemd is destructive

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
golinux

Re: systemd is destructive

#101 Post by golinux »

anticapitalista wrote:
sgage wrote: ... but have used Devuan 'ascii" (basically equivalent to stretch) quite a bit, and it is very solid and shaping up nicely. I definitely recommend Devuan if you want to get away from systemd.
Is it really equivalent to stretch? Last I looked (admittedly several months back), most of the apps in Devuan ascii were well behind Debian stretch.
ascii will be getting more love after RC1 is released. It probably isn't an OOTB experience (I always run stable till EOL), but those who like to tinker and know their way around have no problems with it. Some devs are even running ceres!
May the FORK be with you!

sgage

#102 Post by sgage »

anticapitalista wrote:
sgage wrote: ... but have used Devuan 'ascii" (basically equivalent to stretch) quite a bit, and it is very solid and shaping up nicely. I definitely recommend Devuan if you want to get away from systemd.
Is it really equivalent to stretch? Last I looked (admittedly several months back), most of the apps in Devuan ascii were well behind Debian stretch.
A lot has happened in the last several months! Ascii is a lot closer to Stretch now. The kernel is up to date, and most all of the programs I use are at the stretch level...

anticapitalista

#103 Post by anticapitalista »

sgage wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:
A lot has happened in the last several months! Ascii is a lot closer to Stretch now. The kernel is up to date, and most all of the programs I use are at the stretch level...
Good to know - thanks.
antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

millpond

#104 Post by millpond »

golinux wrote:
millpond wrote:
golinux wrote:Are you aware that there is an 'alternate' Devuan forum?
Must be new.
We got up and running the end of November. IRC is still the most active meeting place.
millpond wrote:I'll be by soon...
See ya there!
I've never been comfortable with live chat, perhaps from the bad experien ces in the ole days when AOL unleashed the kiddies onto the net.

Plus I have been developing an utterly irrational phobia over email. Cant explain it.

But i like the forum, a bit slow, but dont feel like every reply is reanimating a corpse. (Though I have always been partial to Lovecraft).

I generally dont like bleeding edge, except for programming languages. Indeed the machine I use the most cannot even run the really latest, as it is absitively ancient. But it is absolutely immune from any hanky panky fromthe new ring0 CPU bits. I dont let the new laptop anywhere near my network.

As to systemd, this is one dead horse that *should* be ritually flogged.
It IS a religious and philosophical battle in which systemd is merely a symbol, a rallying call. Like 'Remember the Alamo'.
Its the embodiment of co-operative community vs competitive corporatism. Systemd represents a symptom in the FOSS community in which specialized interest have trumped general welfare. The simple fact that hundreds of thousands of servers running on trusty old scripts would become deprecated by a uility that had no right on earth putzing with them, should be reason enough. I have seen systemd physically damage some of my own scripts.

It also bears repeating (even if endlessly) that the average user will never even notice systemd, or even know what in init script is. Or care. That is fine. But there needs to be a place in the Unix ecosystem where most (at least) of the Four Freedoms can still be expressed. Including the right to 'just say no' to any piece of software from an untrusted vendor. And for many of us, that is precisely what Redhat is. Debian is a major backbone, and the only real choice between a real distro, and redhat itself. Most of the others are complier based, which is nice for small systems, but dreadful for massive ones.

deborah-and-ian

#105 Post by deborah-and-ian »

millpond wrote:As to systemd, this is one dead horse that *should* be ritually flogged.
It IS a religious and philosophical battle in which systemd is merely a symbol, a rallying call. Like 'Remember the Alamo'.
Its the embodiment of co-operative community vs competitive corporatism. Systemd represents a symptom in the FOSS community in which specialized interest have trumped general welfare. The simple fact that hundreds of thousands of servers running on trusty old scripts would become deprecated by a uility that had no right on earth putzing with them, should be reason enough. I have seen systemd physically damage some of my own scripts.

It also bears repeating (even if endlessly) that the average user will never even notice systemd, or even know what in init script is. Or care. That is fine. But there needs to be a place in the Unix ecosystem where most (at least) of the Four Freedoms can still be expressed. Including the right to 'just say no' to any piece of software from an untrusted vendor. And for many of us, that is precisely what Redhat is. Debian is a major backbone, and the only real choice between a real distro, and redhat itself. Most of the others are complier based, which is nice for small systems, but dreadful for massive ones.
Such televangelist eloquence... If only you could have used this energy to help the Devuan project which is in dire need of volunteers.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

millpond

#106 Post by millpond »

The problem is that 90% of the time online here is on an ancient 32 bit XP system, which I understand is problematic for doing any kind of developmental work these days. Devuan on this machine is technically an update atop Jesse, and still a bit buggy.

The good news is that I have 2 64 bit Win7 machines, and the newest has Devuan (installed on bare metal), I have been building it up as a development machine, but still have a ways to go. I am more than willing to help there (when I can get the machine away from the lil lady) - but need to know *what* to test.

I'll ask at the other forum...

Deb-fan

#107 Post by Deb-fan »

Jmo but systemd has never given me a single issue. Not the version that came default w Jessie, not the packages in backports, not the ones I installed from Sid repos.

Edit: honestly make that no issue that couldn't be solved quickly via common sense and re-search anyway.

Think people should get over it and simply face the fact that systemd is the future init system for gnu/nix and take some time to learn how to use it and how it works.

No shortage of info available on the topic. It's clearly technically superior in many ways to Sysv and provides a ridiculous number of ways to interact with it and a gnu/linux OS.

Just saying wish folks would place blame where it belongs and take responsibility for admin'ing or failure to bother learning to properly admin the os's and software they use. Things change, esp in tech. Some massively skilled techies decided it was time to implement a new init over one created in the 70's. Just the way it is, shrugs. Sheesh folks either roll up sleeves and learn/research or go w one of the many ways to use another of many options, systemd-shim, openrc, runit, upstart etc etc etc.

Though again how about placing blame where it belongs ? Just saying if x-user wants to be "lazy", install/use software they're totally unfamiliar with and aren't willing to learn anything about its use. To me pretty obvious where the fault lay.

Or of course stick with the lazy (non-competent) user trend that seems to have taken root, blame systemd, blame Debian for your lack of effort or skillset.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Bulkley

#108 Post by Bulkley »

Deb-fan wrote:Jmo but systemd has never given me a single issue. Not the version that came default w Jessie, not the packages in backports, not the ones I installed from Sid repos.
Agreed. I never had a problem that I could blame systemd for. I have had some small problems that were essentially programs that weren't fully ready for systemd.

As I see it the real problem with systemd is philosophical. Systemd does not follow the Unix practice of each program doing one thing and doing it well. I have the same problem with systemd as with many other bloatware programs such as the bigger browsers and word processors. Do we really need a word processor that can send email? Do we need a browser to manage our files? Do we need an init system that captures the whole installation? (I know I didn't word that properly but you get the idea.)

Deb-fan

#109 Post by Deb-fan »

^Yeah get what you're saying there but honestly people much better qualified and likely forgotten more about software development and gnu/Linux than I'll ever know think systemd is needed and a step in the right direction.

I'm sure this is a decision that wasn't made lightly, equally sure people that weren't gifted techies would not be allowed to work on something that important, if they aren't qualified.

Sysv came out in the 70's, since then there's been all manner of patches added to it and an army of dirty hacks to get it to be able to do xyz to whatever degree but systemd clearly does things better. Based upon a bunch of reading-etc.

Avg personal gnu/nix user didn't know, nor care that Sysv was there and they'll have no reason to care that systemd took its place either. People much more tech literate than I am decided systemd is the way to go. In order to criticize them at the very least I'd have to be close to their level in terms of knowledge/skill.

Am not and feel confident saying overwhelming majority of systemd detractors have zero idea what they're talking about too. Would be like me trying to tell Micheal Jordan how to play basketball.

But that's one distinct element found in all grossly ignorant people in my experience. They're all blissfully unaware of how ignorant they are.

edbarx

#110 Post by edbarx »

I wouldn't claim systemd is destructive but a U-Turn in the way an init system is conceptualised. Taking the principle of doing one thing and doing it well, systemd is a definite departure from that. Is it wrong, is it right? I am afraid first we have to define and agree on what is right and what is wrong. Does systemd give users more choice? In this case, and considering how unrelated packages are made to depend on systemd, the answer seems an obvious 'no'.

I wouldn't try to bend backwards claiming any critic of systemd lacks knowledge or worse is ignorant. Systemd was initially an init system but now it is evolving into a cluster of software that was not part of an init system before. Is it bad, more specifically, for those who want to have more flexibility in how they set up their GNU/Linux system, does it increase flexibility in what one can install and in how one sets up their system? Unfortunately, the answer to this is 'no'. This means, GNU/Linux has moved another step in the direction of imitating proprietary operating systems where users are treated like clueless individuals who are satisfied by being provided with a basic computing experience.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

acewiza

#111 Post by acewiza »

edbarx wrote:...GNU/Linux has moved another step in the direction of imitating proprietary operating systems where users are treated like clueless individuals who are satisfied by being provided with a basic computing experience.
More to the point (assuming I agree to some extent with this one snippet of yours), The Linux power brokers have finally agreed that 99.999% of all users actually are clueless (about the technical details) and better served with a computing experience based on systemd.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

Deb-fan

#112 Post by Deb-fan »

Definition of ignorance = lacking knowledge, not knowing. Do disagree with what was said, as from what I've seen, systemd certainly doesn't limit the way someone can configure a gnu/nix OS.

Am also sure the folks in upper Nix geekdom didn't choose systemd without good reason. Weren't sitting around and somebody said hey, for chits and giggles why don't we replace sysv guys.

One point I'm trying to express, is that to really understand the how and why, people would have to be somewhat on the same level of knowledge and skill as the people who make such decisions and it's a total joke to think there's very many around who can honestly claim that.

Sheesh why don't all these armchair warriors go tell Linus Torvalds how the kernel works and all the mistakes being made in its development ? Yeah right.

Deb-fan

#113 Post by Deb-fan »

Am being fairly ignorant myself here, as this is one of those topics that will rage on into infinity. So I may as well shut it and stop feeding into this.

Regardless of for or against, people with the authority and qualifications to make such decisions regarding init in gnu/linux have done so and it's systemd now.

Personally am learning to use it and hopefully how to take full advantage of its capabilities, if others don't choose to and prefer to go with something else or employ one of the work arounds to using systemd that's totally x-nixers right, shrugs.

Ok shutting it fellows. :) No init packages were damaged during the typing of this stupe post.

sgage

#114 Post by sgage »

So people, just shut up and listen to your betters. Is that you Lennart?

Thing is, a lot of people who object to a) systemd on its technical and design 'merits' and b) the way it was railroaded through, are extremely knowledgable people, veteran admins, and know what they're talking about.

There was a lot more than just 'technical merit' going on with the decision to embrace systemd. The process was short-circuited.

acewiza

#115 Post by acewiza »

sgage wrote:...are extremely knowledgable people, veteran admins, and know what they're talking about.
This type evolution can be a problem for "veterans." They sometimes tend to become a little too comfortable in their extensive knowledge, becoming less open-minded about alternate concepts and end up getting stuck in the past.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

bw123

#116 Post by bw123 »

Deb-fan wrote:In order to criticize them at the very least I'd have to be close to their level in terms of knowledge/skill.
This is true, and while at first I thought your argument to be very persuasive, now I realize that many people have better knowledge and skill than you, and they have an opinion as well.

So thanks to ALL for expressing opinions, even though this thread is getting pretty lame.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

sgage

#117 Post by sgage »

But they know what works, and they know a stinker when they see it. But that's what's always trotted out when anyone points out that the shiny new progressive thing is not progressive or helpful - 'oh, you're just afraid of change'. That's just ad hominem garbage.

Deb-fan

#118 Post by Deb-fan »

Lol yeah why don't all the anti-systemd folks produce some actual hard data and factual based technical metrics demonstrating issues with systemd vs sysv.

Spent more than a tad of time looking for such, all that ever comes up is bs fud and nonsense from end-users about how it deviates from x-unix principle. Who clearly are clueless and probably never contributed a cent or thing to open source. They're crap is quickly debunked by more knowledgeable techies but they keep whining about it anyway.

Checked the opinions of people who actually know what they're talking about when comes to software and gnu/nix, including Linus Torvalds who's apparently using systemd on several of his own personal systems.

Anyway mods, please close my account here. Don't want to participate in this tektard and azzhat-trolls infested community any longer. No doubt plenty of good people here but definitely isn't a shortage of cyber jerkwadz as well, the whole few bad apples, spoiling the bunch unfortunately applies to this situation.

Though will always <heart> Debian regardless.

bw123

#119 Post by bw123 »

Anyway mods, please close my account here.
Let me put it another way, before you go away with your tail between your legs.

Do you think you are close in knowledge/skill to the opposing posters on here?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

sgage

#120 Post by sgage »

They have. Plenty of hard data, metrics, use cases, etc. But I suspect you knew that, troll.
Now you're calling it 'whining'. Nothing they have said has been debunked. Nothing.
You are a know-nothing troll.
Oh, and moderators? Definitely delete this clown's account - his last paragraph shows that he's just trying to stir up trouble. He should go up from the basement to the living room and hug his parents - it might help his issues.

Deb-fan wrote:Lol yeah why don't all the anti-systemd folks produce some actual hard data and factual based technical metrics demonstrating issues with systemd vs sysv.

Spent more than a tad of time looking for such, all that ever comes up is bs fud and nonsense from end-users about how it deviates from x-unix principle. They're crap is quickly debunked by more knowledgeable techies but they keep whining about it anyway.

Checked the opinions of people who actually know what they're talking about when comes to software and gnu/nix, including Linus Torvalds who's apparently using systemd on several of his own personal systems.

Anyway mods, please close my account here. Don't want to participate in this test and, azzhat-trolls infested community any longer. No doubt plenty of good people here but definitely isn't a shortage of cyber jerkwadz as well, the whole few bad apples, spoiling the bunch unfortunately applies to this situation.