Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Disappearing TTYs

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
millpond

Disappearing TTYs

#1 Post by millpond »

Today I booted up and found my PTTYs missing. Not a good thing.

A quick look in ps-aux showed that ssh-agent was messing with them.

'rkill ssh' (R(egex)KILL is my own script) - killed it, and the PTTYs returned at once.

Now, on this system I have sshd disabled, and there should be no running ssh processes. Under no conditions should there be anything from the WAN able to see a login screen. I would as soon kill off ssh-agent, but am not sure if it is needed for normal communications, especially dealing with git, and Debian archives with all their crypto-verification stuff.

I dont know where the command is coming from. Not in /etc/init.d from what i can see and not in the /etc/xdg or ~/.config autostart files (here the latter are all blank). This is Devuan, but sysctl runs on this system. So the beast is here, just dunno where to look in /etc/systemd. Or elsehwere.

For now i can kill it in my .profile (rkill ssh) but eventually I would like to disable the entire command affecting PTTYs.

Any thoughts?

millpond

[Solved] Disappearing TTYs

#2 Post by millpond »

Problem is apparently solved.

Oddly it wasnt ssh. Killing it only worked the first time.

I have been installong Perl (which here means 80% of CPAN, and some garbage wound up in init.d. Fixed it, and the problem went away.