Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HP officejet 5740 drivers needed

Need help with peripherals or devices?
geraldw321

HP officejet 5740 drivers needed

#1 Post by geraldw321 »

Hello everyone , I cant seem too find drivers for my printer HP 5740, Synaptic mngr says hplip is installed but i cant add my printer. i downloaded new hplip 3.16.11 but doesnt install says debian 8.7 not supported. Can i do anything or just wait and hope HP gets us new drivers???

bw123

Re: HP officejet 5740 drivers needed

#2 Post by bw123 »

i downloaded new hplip 3.16.11 but doesnt install says debian 8.7 not supported.
use the repo instead of downloading, there's a backport. Read the bug reports.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all

https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
resigned by AI ChatGPT

shep

#3 Post by shep »

According to the HP support site the minimal version is HPLIP 3.14.10 for full functionality. You should be able to get basic functionality with the older HPIJS driver. See the OpenPrinting HP-DeskJet_5740.

geraldw321

#4 Post by geraldw321 »

Hello again

I could not get my printer working. I had too go too a different distro (black lab linux) which works fine. Im not really pleased i want too run debian i like it much better, but i need printer capability.

ill run debian in a VB and see if i can figure out the printer than switch back too it, till then i will run black lab.

shep

#5 Post by shep »

You have some options/decisions.

The basic HPIJS driver is available in the hpijs-ppds debian package. This pulls in the hpijs drivers as a dependency. This driver offers 600dpi resolution at a maximum. Cups users would install cups + hpijs-ppds and configure cups to use /usr/share/ppd/hplip/HP/hp-deskjet_5400_series-hpijs.ppd. The advantage of the basic driver is simplicity - you do not have to mess with backports or building a newer hplip version.

The hplip version would have to be installed via backports. It supports higher resolution for photo printing. hplip is bloated and buggy and many of the python based utilities are, IMHO, unnecessary. I do not really need a utility to tell me that I need to buy more HP ink cartridges because the ink is getting low.

Do you want basic printing or all the bells and whistles?

geraldw321

#6 Post by geraldw321 »

shep wrote:You have some options/decisions.

The basic HPIJS driver is available in the hpijs-ppds debian package. This pulls in the hpijs drivers as a dependency. This driver offers 600dpi resolution at a maximum. Cups users would install cups + hpijs-ppds and configure cups to use /usr/share/ppd/hplip/HP/hp-deskjet_5400_series-hpijs.ppd. The advantage of the basic driver is simplicity - you do not have to mess with backports or building a newer hplip version.

The hplip version would have to be installed via backports. It supports higher resolution for photo printing. hplip is bloated and buggy and many of the python based utilities are, IMHO, unnecessary. I do not really need a utility to tell me that I need to buy more HP ink cartridges because the ink is getting low.

Do you want basic printing or all the bells and whistles?

Hello again

I just need basic printing functions, im not proficient enought in linux too do Backports ??? or rebuilding packaegs or such. i just want some easy printer driver install instructions and i will be a permenant debian user , i really like debian and would like it too be my OS.

sorry for the bad tyrping i tore a rotator cuff much pain and trouble typing. good strong painkillers too WHEEEEE.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

There seems to be a little confusion here--an hplip 3.16.11 set of packages has already been backported for Jessie users and is in the jessie-backports repository. You don't have to backport it yourself, just follow the instructions at backports.org to add and install from that repository.

Though I think that backport might still use py-qt5 instead of -qt4, which means the hplip-gui system tray icon won't be visible in the XFCE panel...
MX Linux packager and developer

shep

#8 Post by shep »

To test the basic hpijs driver, Install Debian and verify if cups was also installed

Code: Select all

# dpkg -l | grep cups

Install cups if it was not installed along with hpijs-ppds.

Then in a web browers open the cups interface with
http://localhost:631

Follow the instructions and when you choose a ppd choose:
HP/hp-deskjet_5400_series-hpijs.ppd

Cups configuration screenshots here.

Save and try a test page. If there are problems review and post the pertainent portions of /var/log/cups/error_log

geraldw321

#9 Post by geraldw321 »

hello again

thanks everyone. But i think ill stick with black lab for now it works well and i dont need all this aggravation of trying to get a printer working.

you would think with debian being such a good distro something so basic as a printer would work or at least have a simple driver install like black lab has (BL is based on debian and ubuntu)

maybe ill try it sometime in the future but for now im going with what works.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

you would think with debian being such a good distro something so basic as a printer would work or at least have a simple driver install like black lab has (BL is based on debian and ubuntu)

I guess you would think that, but certainly I or anyone else that is familiar with the Debian release cycle would understand that the stable version will have some issues with hardware developed since its release! These are rather easily overcome with the use of jessie-backports; Black Lab and many other Debian derivatives just have those pre-installed. There's no great mystery to be solved here. One just needs to understand that Jessie will probably need some tweaking after the install for most machines from 2015 or newer.

geraldw321

#11 Post by geraldw321 »

yes I would think that.

my laptop is from 2012 (acer aspire, core i7 cpu, 32 gig ram, dual 512 ssd's, nvidia graphics card, etc....) should run everything i throw at it and it has so far. i may not know how too do this backport thing but with a top shelf distro like debian i thought they would have decent printer support. NOT!!!!!!!

so F them plenty of other distros that do and work fine .

shep

#12 Post by shep »

While you have working printer support in Black Lab, I would look to see what software versions, drivers were used and what the cups settings were. There is no reason that you could not duplicate the settings in Debian once you gain more experience.

geraldw321

#13 Post by geraldw321 »

shep wrote:While you have working printer support in Black Lab, I would look to see what software versions, drivers were used and what the cups settings were. There is no reason that you could not duplicate the settings in Debian once you gain more experience.

ok so how do i find out what the sw versions, drivers and such are????

shep

#14 Post by shep »

The software versions are listed here.
From the list, it looks like Black Lab threw all options into the mix. When you learn how to administer your own system, you can choose just the packages you need.

You can also pull the versions using these Debian commands:

dpkg -l | grep cups

dpkg -l | grep hplip

dpkg -l | grep printer

To get the configuration open the cups web interface in a web browser by entering
http://localhost:631 in the url box. You should have a configured printer that you can click on to look at its configuration.

sgian

#15 Post by sgian »

Hi, I've been having trouble with my hp printer too. Learning a new distro can be confusing at times. Anyways, the terminal commands to install the newer hp drivers from backports are below...

su
it will prompt you for the root password, so enter that and then copy and paste this or type it out if you prefer

apt-get install -t jessie-backports hplip
then sign out of root with

exit
or just close the terminal window.

Now installing hplip might not be enough. As a regular user (not root) enter in terminal

hpcheck -r
this will check to make sure you have all your drivers. Look over the results and fix whatever errors it finds by installing the dependencies.

For me, this still wasn't enough lol. I had been chasing hplip when the list of printers didn't show up while adding my printer, when the problem turned out to be with another missing package. The following page helped me, and it might help you if you still can't add the printer. https://wiki.debian.org/PrintQueuesCUPS#Printer_Drivers and the code I needed to populate my driver list was

apt-get install task-print-server
then just reboot the machine as the easy way to reload the printer software.

I noticed you haven't been able to give the terminal results from the terminal commands that shep has been asking for to help diagnose the problem. Look in your menu for something called the terminal then type the commands in there. Exactly where in the menu is, depends on the desktop environment you chose. I chose KDE and don't know the other environments in Debian.

Anyways, I consider Debian as a more difficult linux distribution to get working than some of the other distros that are based on Debian, like Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Ubuntu and Linux Mint are a lot easier for people new to linux to get working because they include drivers that aren't always open source. Good luck.

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Shep, I think we lost the OP. The printer requires an minimum of hplip=3.14.10, jessie has 3.14.6, and he seemed unwilling to use the backports repository or follow rather simple instructions. Some people are like that.

shep

#17 Post by shep »

IMHO, the problem with click n configure interfaces is that they are complex and when they fail are difficult to trouble shoot. Searching the internet and reading documentation become requisite.

For basic printing, the OP had 4 options in Debian:
1) HPLIP
2) CUPS + manual configuration
3) LPRng + hpijs or gutenprint PCL-900
4 LPR + hpijs or gutenprint PCL-900

I use OpenBSD/NetBSD - the base LPR print spooler is elegantly simple.