Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Duplicates in Synaptic

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
TonyT

Duplicates in Synaptic

#1 Post by TonyT »

Is this a bug in Synaptic? If so, how to fix?
Debian Stretch.
Synaptic lists duplicate entries but only when selecting Origin (not yet installed).

stevepusser

Re: Duplicates in Synaptic

#2 Post by stevepusser »

I can't really see any duplicates; can you point them out?

What is your compelling reason for mixing stable and testing repositories, which should only be done by experts?

(hoping that this install hasn't become the dumpster fire that this kind of sources.list can become...)
MX Linux packager and developer

TonyT

#3 Post by TonyT »

I'm not mixing stable and testing. All testing except I'm using google chrome unstable downloaded as a deb from google dev channel. Google adds itself to the sources automatically and a recent update to it lists stable, beta and unstable to the stable source in the list on left.

You can see some duplicates in the right top frame.

pendrachken

#4 Post by pendrachken »

stevepusser wrote:I can't really see any duplicates; can you point them out?

What is your compelling reason for mixing stable and testing repositories, which should only be done by experts?

(hoping that this install hasn't become the dumpster fire that this kind of sources.list can become...)

Unless the image was changed or something since your post, how about the four 0ad-data and 0ad-data-common 0.0.21-1 entries?

Would be interesting to see what exactly apt-cache policy would spit out for 0ad-data, maybe it is debu[1-9] versions that just haven't left the repo yet? That's where I would look first, see what the APT system itself is showing.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Oh, Google is acceptable--I see what you mean now about the 0ad duplicate packages. Can you easily find any other examples?

+1 for trying apt-cache. CLI FTW!
MX Linux packager and developer

TonyT

#6 Post by TonyT »

Lots of other examples but only when viewing packages that have not yet been installed under Origin.
Do you think the duplicates are due to multi-architecture? (amd64 + i386)
But Synaptic does not differentiate the architectures.

~$ apt-cache policy 0ad-data
0ad-data:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 0.0.21-1
Version table:
0.0.21-1 500
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/main i386 Packages

alex.theoto

#7 Post by alex.theoto »

This must be bug. Can someone fill a bug report?

Thorny

#8 Post by Thorny »

TonyT wrote:Is this a bug in Synaptic? If so, how to fix?
Debian Stretch.
Synaptic lists duplicate entries but only when selecting Origin (not yet installed).
Does your system behave differently if you comment out the repository in your sources that is not an official one, http://www.deb-multimedia.org? [EDIT] Of course, then update (reload the package lists).

Christian Marillat's multimedia repository isn't an Official Debian repository, it was always a third-party repository that in the past was useful but generally not needed as often today and probably should only be used by people who know that they need it and why.

phenest

#9 Post by phenest »

That has nothing to do with it. I only have one line in my sources.list for the Stretch repo, and I'm seeing the same thing.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

furquan

#10 Post by furquan »

phenest wrote:That has nothing to do with it. I only have one line in my sources.list for the Stretch repo, and I'm seeing the same thing.
Strange, I'm not experiencing this bug. Perhaps because I'm using Sid (no unofficial repos, two lines in sources.list).

The installed version of Synaptic on my machine is v0.84.2

Code: Select all

$ apt show synaptic
Package: synaptic
Version: 0.84.2
Priority: optional
TonyT wrote:Lots of other examples but only when viewing packages that have not yet been installed under Origin.
Do you think the duplicates are due to multi-architecture? (amd64 + i386)
Yes, I think this is the cause of the problem. My suggestion would be to not use Synaptic (despite how easy it makes to install software, learn to use the command-line, it'll never fail you) and instead use apt to install packages since this will save you the problem of installing an i386 package on an amd64 machine (not a problem per se but it does cause needless duplication). You can use apt install package:arch if you want to install the package for a particular architecture.

If you think you've added an arch by mistake then you can remove it like this (don't do this if you have installed packages for that architecture):

# dpkg --remove-architecture i386
The source code for the kernel, library, etc. should fit on one diskette. Sources for the GNU utilities will vary (and will be big). The sources to GNU emacs will take at least 3 disks. -- Theodore Ts'o, 1992 (distributing the first Linux disks)

phenest

#11 Post by phenest »

furquan wrote:Strange, I'm not experiencing this bug. Perhaps because I'm using Sid
It's the same version in Stretch. Also, try clicking on something other than "All".

MALsPa

#12 Post by MALsPa »

furquan wrote:
TonyT wrote:Do you think the duplicates are due to multi-architecture? (amd64 + i386)
Yes, I think this is the cause of the problem.
I think so, too. Only amd64 here, and I'm not seeing the duplicates.

$ apt-cache policy 0ad-data
0ad-data:
  Version table:
     0.0.21-1 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages

phenest

#13 Post by phenest »

I booted up a VM running Jessie AMD64. Synaptic is not showing any duplicates. So I added the i386 architecture and updated. Still no duplicates. So I added the contrib & non-free sections, and updated. Still no duplicates.

MALsPa

#14 Post by MALsPa »

So much for that theory.

phenest

#15 Post by phenest »

furquan

#16 Post by furquan »

phenest wrote:I booted up a VM running Jessie AMD64. Synaptic is not showing any duplicates. So I added the i386 architecture and updated. Still no duplicates. So I added the contrib & non-free sections, and updated. Still no duplicates.
Perhaps in the newer version, Synaptic is unable to differentiate between i386 and amd64 versions. This is what shows on my machine:

$ apt policy 0ad
0ad:
  Candidate: 0.0.21-2
  Version table:
     0.0.21-2 500
        500 http://ftp.tw.debian.org/debian unstable/main amd64 Packages
$ apt policy 0ad-data
0ad-data:
  Version table:
     0.0.21-1 500
        500 http://ftp.tw.debian.org/debian unstable/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.tw.debian.org/debian unstable/main i386 Packages
It shows i386 version too because I've added i386 architecture in my machine (needed some i386 packages). But strangely enough it doesn't have the i386 version of 0ad... but I think that's another problem.
The source code for the kernel, library, etc. should fit on one diskette. Sources for the GNU utilities will vary (and will be big). The sources to GNU emacs will take at least 3 disks. -- Theodore Ts'o, 1992 (distributing the first Linux disks)

phenest

#17 Post by phenest »

I booted up a VM running Stretch AMD64. Synaptic is not showing any duplicates. So I added the i386 architecture and updated. And ... ah, there they are.