Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved/workaround] GDM Wayland on Radeon + Ryzen don't work

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Khudsa

[solved/workaround] GDM Wayland on Radeon + Ryzen don't work

#1 Post by Khudsa »

Hello to everyone, this is my first post, and I have a little problem. I have been tryng to fix the problem by myself or searching for a solution with no luck for now. Recently I have purchased a new computer with a new AMD cpu Ryzen, an Asus motherboard and a I have put in it an AMD R9 290 GPU. After installing a Debian Stretch with Gnome it doesn't reach the GDM and I have a black screen. It works after installing the linux-firmware package (for the amd firmware) from a tty and all seem's fine but then I realize that i can't choose the Gnome Wayland session. In fact, it doesn't appear, there's only X11 default, Gnome and Gnome classic.

So I have done this with no luck:
- Reconfigure gdm, reinstall gdm.
- Editing the /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf with the WaylandEnable=true (now restored the file as the original one).
- Reinstalling Debian again.
- Messing with the /usr/share/wayland-sessions and xsessions files (now restored the original ones).
- Updating the bios motherboard and making sure there's only one gpu (there's only one gpu on my system).

In the gdm screen, if I switch to a terminal and type 'ps aux | grep -i xorg' it returns a xorg so the gdm is running with xorg. In this terminal if I stop the gdm service and start it again, there's no xorg anymore, the gdm works on wayland and I can select the Wayland session again.

Searching in the logs I have found this:

Code: Select all

gnome-shell[915]: Can't initialize KMS backend: could not find drm kms device
gnome-session[907]: gnome-session-binary[907]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
gnome-session-binary[907]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
gnome-session-binary[907]: Unrecoverable failure in required component org.gnome.Shell.desktop
I'm running a Ryzen cpu, Asus prime x370-pro, AMD R9 290. Now I'm running a 4.10 kernel and Mesa 17.0.3 from experimental, but this behaviour is also on kernel 4.9 and Mesa 13 from a fresh Stretch install.

Any idea? Thank you very much.

Regards,
Last edited by Khudsa on 2017-05-08 17:29, edited 2 times in total.

Khudsa

Re: GDM Wayland on Radeon + Ryzen don't work

#2 Post by Khudsa »

More (don't work):
- Trying to kms on early boot adding radeonsi on /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf
- Trying to put my resolution (ultrawide 3440x1440) on /etc/default/grub by GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX or by GRUB_GFXMODE

So, keep trying.

stevepusser

Re: [unsolved] GDM Wayland on Radeon + Ryzen don't work

#3 Post by stevepusser »

It might take Debian a bit of time to get full support for bleeding-edge hardware like that into the open graphics stack. I'm sure the developers would appreciate any testing you can do to help them out.

Have you tried the AMDGPU Pro proprietary driver from AMD to see if it works with your setup? I know they only officially support the latest Ubuntus, but it might help.
MX Linux packager and developer

Khudsa

Re: [unsolved] GDM Wayland on Radeon + Ryzen don't work

#4 Post by Khudsa »

Thanks for reply!

No I haven't tried the AMDGPU Pro propietary driver, I prefer to stick to the open source one. I have very good results with them, they work really well. Good work from the devs!

I will investigate more and share my findings but if there's no luck maybe on the next kernel and/or mesa release the problem is solved. Maybe it's related to kernel? The graphic card was working flawlessly on my old setup with wayland from the start.

Regards,

Khudsa

Re: [solved/workaround] GDM Wayland on Radeon + Ryzen don't

#5 Post by Khudsa »

I have found a workaround. I have been waiting for the kernel 4.11 to enter to experimental and see if I get wayland working again but it didn't. Then I try a Fedora live cd only to see if it boots on wayland and it boots on wayland, so it seemed a Debian issue. My next try was to delay the gdm start and with that I have wayland working again:

Code: Select all

cd /lib/systemd/system
vim gdm.service
add Type=idle on the [Service] section
Finally I have wayland again. It's a systemd unit file issue?

Thanks,