Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GParted delete partition clarification (screenshot)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
paulmo

GParted delete partition clarification (screenshot)

#1 Post by paulmo »

After upgrading to new version, then deleting partition of previously-installed version and re-sizing new partition to take up unallocated space, my laptop started in grub rescue> mode, so I set path and loaded module by these instructions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... escue.3E-1
Then I ran:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
and everything works fine. What is safe to delete now in GParted (screenshot), and how to safely expand /dev/sda4 to use unallocated space without borking my system again? Does grub-install mean that a boot loader is now in /dev/sda4 (and I can safely delete sda1)?

Neither Img tag around URL nor Upload attachment is working for me, so here's the screenshot URL:
https://goo.gl/photos/kds4t4m8DBYWWVfBA

Thanks for help.

Dai_trying

Re: GParted delete partition clarification (screenshot)

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

If you are running in UEFI then you need to keep sda1 or you will not be able to boot the machine, if you have installed via legacy options then you can probably delete sda1 as grub should be in the MBR.

paulmo

#3 Post by paulmo »

Thank you for responding to the 2nd part of my question: I am running in UEFI so I'll keep sda1.

What is safe to delete now in GParted (screenshot), and how to safely expand /dev/sda4 to use unallocated space without borking my system again?
https://goo.gl/photos/kds4t4m8DBYWWVfBA

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

As you are using gparted you can use that to expand your partition although you will have to do it from a live environment, just boot a live disc and then use gparted as normal, expanding sda4 it to fill the available space.

EDIT I can't see anything else to delete

paulmo

#5 Post by paulmo »

ok thanks, do I delete unallocated partitions before expanding sda4? In my limited experience GParted is only available in live cd (in my case usb) mode anyway.

Dai_trying

#6 Post by Dai_trying »

Unallocated space is free space available on your hdd, it's not a partition until it is created, all you need to do is expand your sda4 partition.

And if you want gparted after installation it can be easily installed in the usual manner synaptics/apt-get/aptitude/etc.

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

not sure i understand the question (or the screenshot), but did you run

Code: Select all

update-grub
afterwards?

paulmo

#8 Post by paulmo »

Dai_trying wrote:Unallocated space is free space available on your hdd, it's not a partition until it is created, all you need to do is expand your sda4 partition.

And if you want gparted after installation it can be easily installed in the usual manner synaptics/apt-get/aptitude/etc.
Thanks for your help.