Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

H.264 decoder

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
shaoiken

Re: H.264 decoder

#21 Post by shaoiken »

Hello there,

I have the same problem, so here it goes:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg --version
ffmpeg: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libass.so.5: undefined symbol: FT_Outline_EmboldenXY

apt-cache policy ffmpeg
ffmpeg:
  Installiert:           7:3.2.4-1
  Installationskandidat: 7:3.2.4-1
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 7:3.2.4-1 500
        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sid/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

inxi -r
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
           deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
deborah-and-ian wrote:Sounds like some packages had data damage or something? Try to reinstall them.

apt-get --reinstall install totem vlc ffmpeg gstreamer gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly
I did that, but it didn't fix it. The error message remains the same.
phenest wrote:Another thought is what the source of the encoded h264 video is that doesn't play. Do all h264 videos not play? What happens if you encode a video snippet with say ffmpeg? Does that play? What about containers, i.e, MP4, MKV, etc?
No h264 are playing, neither in totem nor mpv. They are playing in VLC, however I get another error message regarding SSA subtitles when I'm trying to open a file that contains them:

Codec wird nicht unterstützt:
VLC konnte das Format „ssa “ (SubStation Alpha subtitles) nicht dekodieren
Which would be

Codec not supported:
VLC could not decode the format "ssa " (SubStation Alpha subtitles)
in english I guess.
Since both errors are regarding SSA subtitles, could it be that I'm missing some specific font or something like that?

I'm running debian sid with all the latest updates and the latest standard debian kernel.

I'm thankful for any help.

phenest

#22 Post by phenest »

shaoiken wrote:No h264 are playing, neither in totem nor mpv.
Do you get any error messages if you run them from a terminal?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

shaoiken

#23 Post by shaoiken »

phenest wrote:
shaoiken wrote:No h264 are playing, neither in totem nor mpv.
Do you get any error messages if you run them from a terminal?

mpv *01*.mkv
mpv: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libass.so.5: undefined symbol: FT_Outline_EmboldenXY

totem *01*.mkv 
** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|1.0|totem|H.264 (High Profile)-Decoder|decoder-video/x-h264, level=(string)5, profile=(string)high (H.264 (High Profile)-Decoder)
But I have gstreamer1.0-plugins-good, gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad and gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly installed. :?

I get no video outpot whatsoever in both cases. Funnily enough totem is able to play some x265 files I've got flying around ... :lol:

phenest

#24 Post by phenest »

shaoiken wrote:Hello there,
I'm running debian sid with all the latest updates and the latest standard debian kernel.
I think that's your answer. If you're gonna run the unstable version of Debian, then expect trouble. Report it as a bug.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

shaoiken

#25 Post by shaoiken »

phenest wrote: I think that's your answer. If you're gonna run the unstable version of Debian, then expect trouble. Report it as a bug.
Yeah sure, I'm aware of that. Right now I'm just trying to pinpoint what is causing the bug. So far I guess it has something to do with libass5 or SSA support in general.
phenest wrote:I'm also running Stretch with Totem/Videos installed and it plays all my h264 encoded videos perfectly. Sounds like you have a broken Debian installation somehow.
Could you do me a favor and tell my which version of libass5 you have installed?

EDIT:
Alright my hunch was correct! I replaced libass5 with the latest git version and it works now im mpv which is all I ever wanted.

I compiled it with:

git clone https://github.com/libass/libass
cd libass
sh autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo checkinstall
In checkinstall I changed the package name from libass to libass5 and the version number from 0.13.6 to 1:0.13.6.
After that I had to link the new installed libraries so ffmpeg could find them:

sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libass.so.9 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libass.so.5
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libass.so.9.0.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libass.so.5.3.2
And now it works.

EDIT 2:
Also handed in a bug report so the package can be updated in the repositories.

EDIT 3:
Apparently it is a known bug: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=842522
But it only occurs when you use freetype-infinality for font rendering which isn't officially supported by Debian and therefore not a bug with the packages from the repository. My "fix" works with infinality but is a really dirty hack which could break other packages that use libass5 or ffmpeg. But since it works with mpv it is good enough for me.