Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

External Hard Drive

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Talbot9

External Hard Drive

#1 Post by Talbot9 »

Hello everybody,

sorry, I know it's a stupid question but is the following possible:

I want to take my old HDD with windows and all my data out of my notebook and put it into an external hard drive case (like this one).
Then install Debian on a new SSD and later on recover my data from the now external HDD.
Linux is not mentionend as supported OS for the case but does that really matter? Or can't Debian work with such a case for hard drives?

dasein

Re: External Hard Drive

#2 Post by dasein »

Talbot9 wrote:sorry, I know it's a stupid question but is the following possible...
Yes.

ruffwoof

#3 Post by ruffwoof »

Talbot9 wrote:Linux is not mentioned as supported OS for the case but does that really matter
If its not mentioned as supported, you wont get any support (at least not as part of the support offering). Could even invalidate the warranty.

Many like to try out Debian using the LiveCD version. The non-free/unofficial versions are good for including support for more recent hardware. They can be used to boot a Debian without having to install it to HDD and can even be set up to be 'persistent' (so all changes are preserved across reboots). Personally I boot that way all the time. But its important to have backup's of your system for when things go wrong anyway, so backing up your Windows system/data is always a good idea and the external HDD is a good choice for doing that. BTW you could even install Debian to that external HDD.

You'll have to pick a choice of Debian desktops from the link above. Some like gnome, others prefer KDE, personally I like LXDE. Have a look at some youtubes of each and use that as a guide for which choice might be best for you.

phenest

#4 Post by phenest »

ruffwoof wrote:
Talbot9 wrote:Linux is not mentioned as supported OS for the case but does that really matter
If its not mentioned as supported, you wont get any support (at least not as part of the support offering). Could even invalidate the warranty.
The OP is talking about Linux support, i.e. driver support for the external HDD case. Not their computer.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

ruffwoof wrote:Could even invalidate the warranty.
Oh. Em. Gee.

Putting a HDD in a particular enclosure does not void the warranty--not on the HDD and not on the enclosure.

If you can't offer a good answer, could you at least bring yourself to avoid offering a bad one?

ruffwoof

#6 Post by ruffwoof »

GFU

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by steve_v »

dasein wrote:Putting a HDD in a particular enclosure does not void the warranty--not on the HDD and not on the enclosure.
Indeed, the warranty is on the drive itself, what case it's in is irrelevant so long as you don't go outside the drives environmental specs - e.g. overheating it in a plastic case, using mounting screws that are too long, or of course by dropping the thing...
ruffwoof wrote:GFU
:lol:
You're wrong, happens to everyone sooner or later. Suck it up.

---
Talbot9 wrote:Linux is not mentionend as supported OS for the case but does that really matter?
In short: Not at all.
Chances are very good good that it will work just fine. Debian GNU/Linux can work with Windows filesystems and supports any normal interconnect.
There are external enclosures that bastardize the USB storage spec and require special drivers, but I haven't seen one in ages. The one you are looking at seems fine, as far as I can tell.
e-SATA is e-SATA and will work with anything that has the correct port (though some old SATA chipsets have a capacity limit).
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.