Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

D-Link DWA-131 doesn't work !

Need help with peripherals or devices?
skaarjwarrior651

D-Link DWA-131 doesn't work !

#1 Post by skaarjwarrior651 »

I need the rtl8192eu driver for the D-LINK DWA-131 adapter, which is not included in firmware-realtek and firmware-linux-nonfree|firmware-misc-nonfree. How can I install it? Why is the driver not yet included in firmware-realtek? :?
Last edited by skaarjwarrior651 on 2019-04-19 13:17, edited 3 times in total.

dasein

Re: D-Link DWA-131 doesn't work !

#2 Post by dasein »

If you'd bothered to look at the appropriate Wiki page, you wouldn't have had to wait for an answer.

Next time, maybe search before you post.

skaarjwarrior651

#3 Post by skaarjwarrior651 »

Yes, i have already consulted the guide, but didn't work. I found that the adapter requires the RTL8192EU firmware.
Last edited by skaarjwarrior651 on 2019-04-19 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

My google search gave me this hit on the first page.

skaarjwarrior651

#5 Post by skaarjwarrior651 »

Yeah, but I have some problems with dependencies of DKMS, which are already installed, but still get the error.

I need:
Linux-headers-generic
Linux-headers

... but I have the feeling of already having them installed.

Dai_trying

#6 Post by Dai_trying »

Did you install build-essential? that usually brings everything needed to build packages.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

The term "generic" associated with the kernel shows that you are trying to follow Ubuntu-specific directions. Debian and Ubuntu use different names for their kernel packages, so you can't mix those specific directions. One way to set up a driver build environment that works for either distro, assuming you have a working Net connection, is to install module-assistant and run in a terminal as sysadmin (sudo or root):

Code: Select all

m-a prepare
The command will install the headers of the current running kernel and also all the tools need to build the driver, so just install dkms after it finishes. You don't need git if you just download and extract a zip of the contents of that github repo.

I also remember users of your specific device and driver having problems when Stretch went to kernel 4.9. You can find the specifics if you search the forum for "8192eu", but I think the solution is to force load your driver by adding it to /etc/modules.

By the way, firmware is just a microcode blob that gets loaded into the device by the driver--the driver (aka module) is a quite different beast.
MX Linux packager and developer

rudar

#8 Post by rudar »

I have DWA-131 E1G. It sees my home network, but it cannot connect to it, in spite the fact that I keep repeating my password... What can I do about it?

Dai_trying

#9 Post by Dai_trying »

Probably this is required

In an editor open
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

Then add
[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

taken from the first hit after searching the forum with +wifi +cannot +connect

rudar

#10 Post by rudar »

Dai_trying wrote:Probably this is required

In an editor open
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

Then add
[device]

taken from the first hit after searching the forum with +wifi +cannot +connect
I wish it were so simple... I raised this question, because when I tried with DWA-N 150, it worked as a charm, just plug-and-play. No additional work was necessary. Unfortunately, I cannot keep the stick that works, but must try my luck with this one... :(

Also, DWA-123 also went to hell after the last upgrade from Debian 9.4 to 9.5. Debian developers made a nice little mess this time...

Dai_trying

#11 Post by Dai_trying »

I read in this archlinux post that you might need to use the rtl8192cu driver, but I have a rtl8192 device and needed to use this github fix to maintain a stable connection.

This was a while ago though and I notice the author states this is now deprecated and from Kernel 4.4 it should just work (I haven't tested this yet) so not sure if it is worth trying for you.

There is also a few interesting pieces of advice in the readme regarding power saving modes (and how to disable it) which also might help.

rudar

#12 Post by rudar »

Look, what I really can't figure out, is the fact that my old DWA-123 worked perfectly well, until this (un)fortunate upgrade. Now it sees my home connection, but it cannot connect. Then I borrowed a DWA-150, and it worked perfectly well (just plug and play). Then I bought this, D-Link DWA-131 E1G, and when I plugged it in, first it was not recognised at all. Fair enough, there are free drivers around. I checked and installed what should be the right driver. After that, my device was recognised and it sees my home network too, but it won't connect to internet! Just like that. It's driving me mad!

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Have you tried blacklisting the rtl8192eu driver and forcing rlt8xxxu?

Check the driver is use with

lspci -k | grep -iA2 net
deadbang

rudar

#14 Post by rudar »

I have two USB-Web sticks. The one is D-link DWA-123, and the other one is D-Link DWA-131. Neither of them works now, but DWA-123 worked perfectly well until I broke my Debian Mate 9.4 and had to re-install Debian Mate 9.5.

Now, I think that I need this to get my DWA-123 get working again: USB: 2001:3C17 D-Link Corp. DWA-123 Wireless N 150 Adapter(rev.A1) [Ralink RT3370]. When I tried to install firmware-ralink in terminal, I got the information that firmware-misc-nonfree is already the newest version (20161130-3). Unfortunately, this does not work either for DWA-123, or for the brand new DWA-131 (I bought it yesterday).

How can I remove firmware-misc-nonfree and replace it with older version, firmware-ralink? I believe this would solve my problems.

rudar

#15 Post by rudar »

This is to tell you that I have solved the problem with DWA-123. It works again, thanks to

sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
When it opens, then enter

[device]
Then reboot and that's it, it works. I have found this suggestion in Debian Wiki in the case when WiFi can scan, but not connect using NetworkManager (Debian 9 Stretch), suggesting the following:
If you find that your wireless network device can scan, but will not complete connecting, try turning off MAC address randomization.

I wish to apologize to @Dai_trying for neglecting his good advice. I am also grateful to @Head_on_a_Stick for his good effort to help me. I am most obliged, guys, and thank you very much :)

I will try tomorrow if DWA-131 works in the same way. Cheers!

Dai_trying

#16 Post by Dai_trying »

Apologies not required but gratefully accepted none the less, and glad it is resolved. If you mark the thread as "solved" it might be easier for others to find it.

rudar

Re: D-Link DWA-131 doesn't work ! [SOLVED]

#17 Post by rudar »

So, I just checked the new DWA-131, and it works perfectly well, in the same way like the old DWA-123. Just plug-and-play. Great! :D

Since it wasn't me who opened up this topic, but I just popped in, I cannot put [SOLVED] into the main title. I can give it only to my final reply...

Dai_trying

#18 Post by Dai_trying »

Yea, sorry I didn't realise at the time but I'm sure that will help too. :)