Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Opening enfcs folders created with Cryptkeeper

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Johnnier Arango

Opening enfcs folders created with Cryptkeeper

#1 Post by Johnnier Arango »

Hello.

I just moved from Ubuntu 16.04 to Debian 8.7. At ubuntu I used Cryptkeeper to created an encrypted file containing numerous files. Ater I moved to Debian (I preserved /home directory) I installed Cryptkeeper again but I'm unable to mount the _enfcs folder again. I follow the instructions to mount the _enfcs folders and I got this message "The stash could not be mounted. Invalid password?"

Do any of you have an idea of how to do it? I'm using the Gnome desktop wich comes with debian 8.7

Thank you so much

millpond

Re: Opening enfcs folders created with Cryptkeeper

#2 Post by millpond »

Ubuntu and Debian use different file directory systems, plus its likely that Debian overwrote some of the Ubuntu files on install. My guess is that the new version of the file encryptor overwrote the hash file your password relies on. Unless you have a backup of that you may be out of luck. Take a good close look at the installed files in synaptic for that package and see if anything resembles a hash file, and where it is located. Take a look at the deb package from Ubuntu and see if there are any differences. Installing a Ubuntu VM might also help.

This is the most dangerpus aspect of disk encryption: Anything, repeat *anything* that compromises the core encryption access files will render that part of the filesystem inaccessible. Forever. At least the end of the next ice age with a typical PC.

For sensitive data get a USB drive and only plug it in or turn it on when you need to access those sensitive files. Two thirds of my systems are OFF at any given time.

Johnnier Arango

#3 Post by Johnnier Arango »

Hi,

Thanks for your assistance.

If does any difference if I install the Ubuntu version I had before? I don't care to do it I just need to recover mi files. Anyway I'm just trying debian for first time.

Thank you so much

Johnnier Arango

#4 Post by Johnnier Arango »

SOLVED

As the encrypted folder was created by Cryptkeeper using encfs 1.8.1 in Ubuntu and Debian 8 uses version 1.7,only was necessary uninstall this previous version an update it to the 1.8.1 version downloading the deb. package and using gnome-encfs manager to mount the folder again in debian using the password of course. No VM was necessary.

I hope this can work for those with the same problem.