Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Minimal debootstrap, what can be removed?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
sjukfan

Minimal debootstrap, what can be removed?

#1 Post by sjukfan »

I've been toying with the idea of a minimal Linux install on a partition on my computer that is able to run FSArchiver, and that's about it. It just needs to boot and make an image of the hard drive, or write an image to the drive. I think it's easiest to use deboostrap but even the minimal install has things that isn't needed. So before I go mad at the disk and just rip packages one by one, does anyone know what packages can be removed or not? I've googled but haven't really found anything.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Minimal debootstrap, what can be removed?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sjukfan wrote:a minimal Linux install on a partition on my computer that is able to run FSArchiver, and that's about it. It just needs to boot and make an image of the hard drive, or write an image to the drive.
Alpine Linux has fsachiver in the repositories and is *much* smaller than any Debian system can be made to be:

https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/packages?n ... aintainer=

Is this for an embedded system? A few hundred megabytes doesn't usually make much difference these days...
deadbang

Seventh

#3 Post by Seventh »

If you are going to do that you may as well install system rescue disk in my opinion and get a complete set of tools on the partition, includes fsarchiver.
Iso is only 540 mb, not sure what the installed size would be as i havent installed it but thinking about setting aside a partition to do exactly what you want to do.
http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/

sjukfan

#4 Post by sjukfan »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Alpine Linux has fsachiver in the repositories and is *much* smaller than any Debian system can be made to be:
Aah! I forgot to check Alpine, only checked Tiny Core LInux and those, and I might have thought of fsarchiver late in the process.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Is this for an embedded system? A few hundred megabytes doesn't usually make much difference these days...
Yeah, doesn't really matter if it's 100MB or 500MB since it's on a 40GB disk, I just got stuck in the thought of "how much can I remove before it stops to boot?" :-)
Seventh wrote:If you are going to do that you may as well install system rescue disk in my opinion and get a complete set of tools on the partition
Just me being compulsive about removing everything that isn't needed, also System rescue disk I rather have updated on a cd.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX