Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

RESOLVED: Errors When Burning A Blu-Ray Disc

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Caitlin

RESOLVED: Errors When Burning A Blu-Ray Disc

#1 Post by Caitlin »

I'm attempting to burn my hard disc backups onto Blu-Ray discs. I'm using a Samsung portable BD writer model SE-506, about 2 years old, with TDK Blu-Ray discs. I used to be able to burn these without problems, but now about 2/3 of the discs I burn show errors on the verify phase.

I use K3B to burn them, and have replaced (adjective deleted) Wodim with CDRecord, so I'm not getting the end-of-burn I/O error message.

I'm running Debian Jessie with MATE.

I tried cleaning the lenses on the burner -- didn't help.

I did not find any information about this on the internet.

Do I need a new Blu-Ray burner? If so, any recommendations as to brand?

Caitlin
Last edited by Caitlin on 2017-04-22 08:28, edited 1 time in total.

eor2004

Re: Errors When Burning A Blu-Ray Disc

#2 Post by eor2004 »

Caitlin wrote:Do I need a new Blu-Ray burner? If so, any recommendations as to brand?
Caitlin
Hi, I'll give you two of the best brands, Lite-On and LG, don't buy Samsung or Toshiba-Samsung (TSST) Blu-Ray or DVD burners, they're crap! Also, some types of brands of DVD or Blu-Ray disc media doesn't work very well with some types of DVD or Blu-Ray disc burners, Hope this helps!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

golinux

#3 Post by golinux »

You might want to spend some time on this site.
May the FORK be with you!

Caitlin

#4 Post by Caitlin »

So what I'm hearing is that it probably IS a hardware problem and that I need to replace my burner and perhaps my media too?

Caitlin

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

^ what did you find out at the previously given link?

Caitlin

#6 Post by Caitlin »

I followed the link and found lists of different optical media with ratings. I copied the names of the highest-rated media on paper, and went to two different electronics stores. I think I only found one kind of Blu-Ray from one of the best-recommended manufacturers, and the none of the discs offered for sale listed their media code on the package, so if I were looking at a specific medium by code, I wouldn't know which is which.

Slightly off the topic, I prefer discs with a minimum of printing from the manufacturer on them. Some have the name of the manufacturer in big "title" letters, with pre-established boxes for the date, contents, etc. This is a pain as there is not much space left over for writing what I want to write. And optical discs are always packaged so you can't tell what they look like without opening the package all the way. It would be nice if each review had a picture of the disc next to it.

Caitlin

golinux

#7 Post by golinux »

Caitlin wrote:. . . and the none of the discs offered for sale listed their media code on the package, so if I were looking at a specific medium by code, I wouldn't know which is which.
The disc code is not on the box. I always found it printed on the clear plastic around the inner circle of the disk. I did that years ago so don't remember the details but I do remember that the Sony disks I found were Taiyo Yuden. I still have some of those left! You might be able to find primo disks online.
May the FORK be with you!

Caitlin

#8 Post by Caitlin »

I just ordered a LG burner from Amazon.

Caitlin

#9 Post by Caitlin »

I got the burner, hooked it up, and successfully burned a few Blu-Rays. Problem solved. Thank you all.

Caitlin

phenest

#10 Post by phenest »

Caitlin wrote:I just ordered a LG burner from Amazon.
What model? Please share so others can benefit.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Caitlin

Re: RESOLVED: Errors When Burning A Blu-Ray Disc

#11 Post by Caitlin »

Sorry for the long delay. My new Blu-ray burner is an LG External Blu-ray Writer model BE16NU50.

And I' very satisfied with it.

Caitlin