Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unix time celebrations

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
phenest

Unix time celebrations

#1 Post by phenest »

I guess there'll be celebrations somewhere when Unix time reaches 1,500,000,000 seconds on 02:40:00 UTC Friday, 14th July 2017. Woo hoo!

But... 32bit Unix time will run out on 03:14:08 UTC on Tuesday, 19 January 2038. I hope some one's working on this problem. Time's a ticking!

Good news! With the introduction of 64bit Unix time, it will run out on 15:30:08 UTC on Sunday, 4 December 292,277,026,596. :shock: Hands up who'll be attending the celebrations.

I wonder what version of Debian we'll be on?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

dasein

Re: Unix time celebrations

#2 Post by dasein »

phenest wrote:I wonder what version of Debian we'll be on?
None. There aren't nearly enough Toy Story characters. :mrgreen:

edbarx

#3 Post by edbarx »

The planet we live on, can support life forms as it is, including human beings, for another 500 million years. During that huge time span, our sun will get hotter, as its hydrogen at the core gets less concentrated. The end result is having the habitable Goldilocks zone move farther out from the sun. However, around the turn of the millenium, there was a study in which three Ph.D students, postulated that our planet, a 'mere' 5.97x10^24 kg, can be forced to move away by accurately disturbing asteroids. The whole procedure, according to these students, would take around 100 million years with an asteroid being disturbed every around 10000 years.

With their method, they are claiming the Earth may support life for a further few billion years.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

pendrachken

#4 Post by pendrachken »

edbarx wrote:The planet we live on, can support life forms as it is, including human beings, for another 500 million years. During that huge time span, our sun will get hotter, as its hydrogen at the core gets less concentrated. The end result is having the habitable Goldilocks zone move farther out from the sun. However, around the turn of the millenium, there was a study in which three Ph.D students, postulated that our planet, a 'mere' 5.97x10^24 kg, can be forced to move away by accurately disturbing asteroids. The whole procedure, according to these students, would take around 100 million years with an asteroid being disturbed every around 10000 years.

With their method, they are claiming the Earth may support life for a further few billion years.

You are off by an order of magnitude there. The sun won't leave the main sequence for another ~5GA ( 5 billion years ) before entering the red giant branch to become a red dwarf and engulf Mercury, Venus, and likely have the Earth in the corona.

The sun brightens ~1% per 100 million years, so 500MA ( millions of years ) would only see a energy output increase of ~ 5%. This will be more than dangerous enough if we keep adding the amounts of greenhouse gas to the atmosphere... but that can't be blames on the sun.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

edbarx

#5 Post by edbarx »

pendrachken wrote:You are off by an order of magnitude there. The sun won't leave the main sequence for another ~5GA ( 5 billion years ) before entering the red giant branch to become a red dwarf and engulf Mercury, Venus, and likely have the Earth in the corona.
I am not off by anything as what I wrote is scientifically correct. Life on our planet, as things stand now, and if future generations do not do anything about it, will be unsustainable within 500 million years. The reason for this, is not the sun changing from burning hydrogen to burn helium, as would happen in about 5,000,000,000 years, but the fact that the concentration of hydrogen at the core is slowly dropping. The consequence, as I wrote earlier, is a slightly hotter sun which shifts the Goldilocks zone further out.

The reference is from here although you might disagree with the source but it makes a sense logically. Hydrogen nuclei take around 10,000 years to tunnel and crash into each other forming a helium nucleus. A lower concentration automatically means more forceful collisions would be required to sustain the same power output to keep the sun from collasping on itself by its own gravity.
https://www.universetoday.com/112859/ho ... the-earth/

pendrachken

#6 Post by pendrachken »

Oh wow. That article is off in soo many ways :roll:

1: As I said, in 500MA the sun is predicted to be ~5% hotter / brighter than it is now, which is not a significant amount. It would barely be noticeable on earth due to quite a few factors, including orbital variations.
2: launching huge rockets will not move the earth for several reasons. First - physics, the rocket will push on the earth, and the earth will push back. Second - physics even if you could move the earth by rocket launches you would require so much fuel and materials that you would reduce the mass of the planet significantly, leading to a REDUCED orbit unless the planet was also significantly accelerated. Giant rockets PUSHING THE PLANET by ejecting mass into space might work, but again you would require so much mass that you would also have to accelerate the planet to move it to a stable orbit farther from Sol, which would wreak merry hell on crops and growing seasons... along with many other factors that would be extremely detrimental.
3: I won't get into the rest of the crazy crap that is not even remotely in the realm of reality.
4: The sheer amount of asteroids ETC. needed to move a planet is staggering. The rockets (or anything else really) used to move them would also, again, reduce the mass of the planet either leading to a closer orbit or the need for a significant amount of acceleration and all of the problems associated with that.

TL;DR version: The sun will not have a significant change to power output ( heat ) until near the time it hits the red giant branch. This is the time that it will greatly increase in both size and luminosity due to the Hydrogen shell ignition around the degenerate Helium core. The article you read was.... misinformed, to put it quite kindly. Utter crap to put it straight to the point.

Now I normally wouldn't link to a wikipedia article, but for once it is at least fairly well explained in the article about the stellar evolution of Sol here up to and after it leaves the main sequence.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Seems like the topic has drifted into something else, besides the Unix time celebrations,
but any way, I found these interesting,..
Stephen Hawking comments,
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... inequality
Together, they are a reminder that we are at the most dangerous moment in the development of humanity. We now have the technology to destroy the planet on which we live, but have not yet developed the ability to escape it. Perhaps in a few hundred years, we will have established human colonies amid the stars, but right now we only have one planet, and we need to work together to protect it.
The sun may very well be fine for millions or billions of years, but what humans are doing, there is a pretty high risk, or odds are the planet Earth, will no longer support life as we know it, in the near future,..really this could happen at any given time all it would take is a couple of crazy warmongers , and click a couple of buttons, and the world will be effectively nuked,...bye, bye humanity. And at this time, we have no means of escape.
Yes the rest of the "cosmos" will continue, probably infinatley,..but unless humans start getting civilized, and learn how to use the technology in a constructive way,..it will
be humans that destroy the only place we have to live at this time.

ticojohn

#8 Post by ticojohn »

GarryRicketson wrote: Yes the rest of the "cosmos" will continue, probably infinatley,..but unless humans start getting civilized, and learn how to use the technology in a constructive way,..it will be humans that destroy the only place we have to live at this time.
Agreed that humans will probably make this planet uninhabitable long before the sun causes significant problems. But the universe won't go on forever. It is estimated that electrons, after protons and other nuclear particles, will decay naturally in about 10^69 years. Not quite infinite.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

phenest

#9 Post by phenest »

ticojohn wrote:about 10^69 years
We'll need 128bit Unix time for that! At least!

edbarx

#10 Post by edbarx »

Code: Select all

let 10^69 = 2^n
=> 69 ln(10) = n ln(2)
=> n = 69 ln(10) / ln(2)
=> n = 229.2
Which means 230 bits are necessary.

phenest

#11 Post by phenest »

You're correct. I worked it out afterwards. Perhaps we should use 1024bit, just to be on the safe side. You know how wrong scientists can be sometimes.

And given that Toy Story 4 is due 2018, if they introduce more characters, Debian releases will go on into the future. And as Buzz Lightyear would say: "To infinity. And beyond!"

phenest

#12 Post by phenest »

dasein wrote:
phenest wrote:I wonder what version of Debian we'll be on?
None. There aren't nearly enough Toy Story characters. :mrgreen:
From: https://lists.debian.org/debian-curiosa ... 00005.html
Worry not, Pixar is making new episodes faster than Debian consumes them.
By my count, there's 64 toy names left[1] in Toy Story 1, 2, 3, and Toy
Story 4 is coming in 2017. And that's not counting non-toy creatures like,
say, Buster (aka Stretch+1).
So long as new Toy Story films are being made, Debian will be around 'til the end of time.

dasein

#13 Post by dasein »

phenest wrote:So long as new Toy Story films are being made, Debian will be around 'til the end of time.
Is there nothing you won't bicker about?

Geeeeeeeez.

phenest

#14 Post by phenest »

You need to learn to laugh more, mate.